To paint or Not to Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
My wife bought a shaft and I told my wife to get aquamet 19 if they had it but they gave her aquamet 17. Aquamet 19 is a version of 304 stainless that is nonmagnetic. The 17 is magnetic stainless. This concerns me. I am having a stainless coupling made so I won't have the same problem seperating the shaft from the coupling next time. But I am not sure how the magnetic stainless will do in the salt water. Most of us don't haul in the winter down here. So we have to keep an eye on our zincs.
This is my question. Do you guys paint your shafts and props with primer and bottom paint? I don't want to paint the shaft because then I won't be able to easily remove it later through the new cutlass bearing. But crap grows sooo fast down here. I don't know what to do.
Also all I have is ablative paint. So I am thinking that is I paint the prop it will just get blasted off anyway.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
My wife bought a shaft and I told my wife to get aquamet 19 if they had it but they gave her aquamet 17. Aquamet 19 is a version of 304 stainless that is nonmagnetic. The 17 is magnetic stainless. This concerns me. I am having a stainless coupling made so I won't have the same problem seperating the shaft from the coupling next time. But I am not sure how the magnetic stainless will do in the salt water. Most of us don't haul in the winter down here. So we have to keep an eye on our zincs.
This is my question. Do you guys paint your shafts and props with primer and bottom paint? I don't want to paint the shaft because then I won't be able to easily remove it later through the new cutlass bearing. But crap grows sooo fast down here. I don't know what to do.
Also all I have is ablative paint. So I am thinking that is I paint the prop it will just get blasted off anyway.
I would not suggest using any paint that is not designed for underwater metals. They make special paints for bronze, aluminum and other underwater metals and they are not the same as a general purpose ablative bottom paint.

Painting it with a standard copper based ablative will lead to galvanic issues between the various dissimilar metals.

Remember your prop is bronze, your shaft stainless (Aquamet), your transmission output coupling steel not to mention the aluminum transmission case, on and on... All this stuff is electrically connected. Adding copper to the mix only makes matters worse.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
That is some good info. I guess as long as I am running my boat every weekend it will last alot longer.
I am wondering if you guys paint your props and prop shafts though to prevent marine growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.