To Heat or Not to Heat, the cabin that is

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeGooch

Is there anyone out there who has had experience installing a source of non-electric heat in the cabin of a Hunter 27? I am looking at the "Cozy Cabin" diesel heater that would burn the same fuel as the powerhouse Renault 8. Please, no propane options!!!!! Thanks, Joe

D

Don

Same Question

Looking forward to responses to your post, I am trying to make the same decision. Where are you looking at the diesel heater? I have been looking but have not found any source.

M

Matt Reed

installed one on a 34

Don't know if my experience will help as I'm not familiar w/the 27's config., but I just put one in my 34. The big problem was placement for the smokestack. Can't do it on the main salon bulkhead b/c the compression post support would have to be severed (I didn't want to risk weakening that), and had other problems w/the bathroom sink b/c the chimeny cap would've been on a huge angle and got near lines. I settled on the forward v berth. In retro, this was the best bet b/c the heater doesn't crank enough to warm my main salon, but does heat the v berth so on cold nights we can cozy that area up (Anything to convince my wife that it's ok to sail in the winter). You may not have this problem w/a smaller salon. If you need to bend the smokestack to get around something, you can only do so at 45degree angles (per Force 10) -- I couldn't get mine bent properly so I had to do a direct exit w/clear deck above. MR

J

JoeGooch

Response to Don 11/19

Hi Don, Thanks for your interest! I am looking at a "Cosy Cabin" heater in the West Marine cataglog--Page (?) Do not have magazine in front of me. Joe

J

Justin Wolfe

We have one.

It's actually an old HiSeas diesel wall mount heater. It is a drip type that uses a fuel pump. I think this is similar to the Dickinson (is that the Cozy Cabin) heater in the WM catalog. Anyway, we're a 32 and the darn thing will heat us right out of the boat on high. The drying effects are wonderful though on those damp days. One thought though. Maybe the Cozy does this. If you can get a unit that uses gravity fed fuel instead of a fuel pump that might be safer. The problem with a fuel pump is that if you leave it on without lighting the heater fuel keeps flowing until it overflows and runs all over the floor. A catchment or just paying attention can help here though. Oh. We lived aboard in Seattle. Have used electric & forced air diesel. I like the forced air better for heating, but not for the price, noise, and complexity of installation. I'd buy the HiSeas or similar again.

T

Tim

6000 BTUs

I seriously considered a Cozy Cabin and didn't do it; 6000 BTUs just seemed pretty lame relative to the cost/trouble. I ended up with a SeaSwing stove that runs on disposable propane tanks and makes around 12000 BTUs. Took 15 minutes to install. Downside is that it uses cabin air to burn. If I were to desire a better solution, I'd go with an Espar.

Status
Not open for further replies.