To get rid of a rusty, filled propane tank

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Clean and paint it , use the propane and then to the local Propane business to get it tested and if good, refilled! Those suckers are expensive to replace! Chief

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Clean and paint it , use the propane and then to the local Propane business to get it tested and if good, refilled! Those suckers are expensive to replace! Chief
It needs an Overfill Prevention Device-type valve to be refilled in the US.

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
From the picture it looks like a 4 1/2 gallon tank and the hard part will be getting the replacement tank. I had one like it and had to go to a commercial propane dealer to find one. This size is not readily available thru blue rhino type propane sales. It has been quite a few years ago but As I recall they were more expensive then the 20 pound barbeque grill type. The commercial supplier took my old tank and disposed of it no charge. Yours does not look real bad from the picture so unless the bottom is in bad condition I would use it up and then get a new one or I am sure a dealer would take partly full or empty. If I recall correctly the new tank was $50 dollars. Considering the cost to re-certify and not sure I would want to re-certify a 21 year old tank, I don't think it would be cost effective to update such a old tank so I would buy a new one.