To generate or not to generate? Wife's dilemma...

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
We have found 2 separate boats that we really love! One is a 41' with a generator, and the other is a 38' with no generator. The price difference is $42,000.

Personally, I (wife) have no experience being on a sailboat and am not sure if our family can handle potentially not having A/C when out and anchored. Husband (has experience on a sailboat) thinks it wouldn't be a necessity as there will usually always be a great breeze to keep it cool enough for us to be comfortable when anchored.

I'd like to get more feedback from those that do and do not to know more of the pros and cons or if it really isn't a big deal one way or the other. Thanks in advance!

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
Both boats have a/c . It's the 38ft that just doesn't have a generator. How important is this if you are out of the marina and anchored?

Last edited:
May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
The 38ft saves us $42,000 but lacks a generator. One can be installed for about $18,000. But if there was no generator while anchoring can it get super hot? Or is there enough breeze to be good to go? In the marina I'm good as it has a/c.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have 36/with FP Gen and we live in Punta Gorda and anchor out 99% of the time and the Gen
was a last minute add on and best thing we that we added.
If you plan to use the boat all year you will need AC when it gets hot like this year and sorry when we get hot weather like it’s been these last few months a breeze will not help.
Also the Gen helps charge the batteries when anchored for a few days.
We use our Gen a lot when May to Oct and this year we used in April and yes if you stay in cockpit yes a breez does help but the inside gets very hot.
I had a friend with a 41 and boy did we like it but $$$ got us with the 36 for 2 of us.
Nick

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Comfort is pretty subjective, having the AC at the dock at least makes it a great place to hang out. On the hook might be hotter but you could possibly get by with even a small portable honda generator. That was one piece of advice I got with out 310.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
I have 36/with FP Gen and we live in Punta Gorda and anchor out 99% of the time and the Gen
was a last minute add on and best thing we that we added.
If you plan to use the boat all year you will need AC when it gets hot like this year and sorry when we get hot weather like it’s been these last few months a breeze will not help.
Also the Gen helps charge the batteries when anchored for a few days.
We use our Gen a lot when May to Oct and this year we used in April and yes if you stay in cockpit yes a breez does help but the inside gets very hot.
I had a friend with a 41 and boy did we like it but $$$ got us with the 36 for 2 of us.
Nick

@seadaddler - do you remember what you paid and total cost to have the generator installed?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I had my FP installed at factory and thinking it was $15,000. and boat is a 2007 but delivered
Jan 2007 so really built in 2006.
Nick

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
If you prefer the 38 then buy it and try without genn for a while, if it's not good then install genn later. In the meantime buy a wind scoop or two and some very good fans.
I'm in Fl and find that 'too hot' can vary day to day in summer so I stay at the dock with AC on those scorchers or just sail and not anchor out. Usually it's while sailing that bakes as the wind is light and the middle of the day is when it's miserable. After dark with fans becomes fine. Hang around the dock during the scorching middle of the day, go for a sunset sail after the PM thunderstorms pass, anchor out overnight and head back to the dock in the morning.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is unbearable to try and sleep without A/C in the area. It will soon make you question your decision to purchase the boat. If you want to save $42K and do not want to install a generator on the 38 the solution can be to spend your nights at a marina transit slip with shore power to run the A/C. Actually I do not think that you could possibly spend $42K in transit slip fees so it could be a feasible alternative for 10 months out of the Florida year.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Try shutting off the A/C in your house this coming week if you have any lingering doubts about the necessity of a genset to run A/C onboard.

While you could try to stay only in marinas while traveling, that can be problematic and therefore limit where you can go.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If you can be comfortable out in your yard, or sitting in your car near the beach w/windows down and w/o AC, on a summer’s night in TB, then it MIGHT work for you on the boat. High humidity impedes evaporative cooling of the body which is what the breeze you wish to experience must do for your comfort.

Summer is not the sailing/anchoring/cruising season in FL. You are now looking to introduce your family to sailing in the off-season. Read: low wind except near T-storms; much rain from T-storms; uncomfortable humidity & temps, more bugs around, relatively more power boaters out and about in places you may like to visit, etc. You need to try a bareboat charter trip next month to test out your tolerances.

Last edited:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
For all year round sailing in the Florida summer, you need A/C. Sure there is a cool breeze (sometimes) but the boat is sitting in 90 degree plus water.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Depends a lot on what you're accustomed to and how much grit you've got. I grew up summering on Mobile Bay without AC. From around 10:30-11:00pm to about 8:00am the next morning, the temperature will generally be tolerable. Unfortunately, as pointed out above, the humidity will be approaching saturation through most of the summer. Your pj's, bedding, etc. will feel damp, but it will be ok if you really want to be there.
On the nights when the temperature stays near 90, and there is little to no breeze, you will be marinating in your own juices. No amount of determination or love of the water will change that. If there are no bugs, you could move on deck, or into the cockpit to try to take advantage of radiant transfer, but it's still going to be rough when it's really hot through the night.
AC will increase the number of enjoyable overnights. Without it, you will have to pick your nights carefully during summer.
I agree with many above that the amount you are considering paying for AC seems high. Surely there are other significant factors in that cost difference i.e. bigger boat, better equipped, maybe?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The 38ft saves us $42,000 but lacks a generator. One can be installed for about $18,000. But if there was no generator while anchoring can it get super hot? Or is there enough breeze to be good to go? In the marina I'm good as it has a/c.
You are in Florida. It gets really hot and humid. I am in Chicago and spent one of the most uncomfortable nights ever on my boat on a hot and humid night. I don’t have ac.

If you are spending that much $$ on a boat, I would gave a generator and AC. Like I said earlier, pick the one you like, and equip it if doesn’t have a generator.

Cheers,

Greg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It gets hot up North for around 2-3 months out of the year, here in Florida it lasts around 10.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
A generator adds more that just AC.:)

Ours charges house batteries, runs a microwave, our deluxe 120VAC refrigerator/freezer, big screen TV, 120VAC circulation fans, etc.
In a pinch, we can even start our main engine with it, if our starting battery goes out.

I would recommend looking at the genset running HOURS on any purchase.

We bought our boat from Punta Gorda, and the genset had more hours than the engine did.;)

A factory installed genset had many electrical issues ironed out.
Example...
You cannot run your genset to make 120VAC while connected to shore power.
______
We start our genset about an hour before anchoring for a beautiful sunset and cocktails. That way we dehumidify our cabin when time for eating, after a great day of sailing.:)
Jim...