To Electric or not to Electric that is the question/

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi !
Why should I move to an electric outboard?
Or
Why I Shouldn't ?
Thanksss.

* Sorry I didn't mention: talking about the dingy.
I watched at least 3 coastal cruisers wrestle with outboards that wouldn't start after 3 weeks on the water. That's not an unusual sight. Most opted to row to shore dragging the OB along.

But having used both, a big plus of a Torqueedo or similar, is the ease of installing and removing these handier, lighter packages.

Unlike the wrestling match at the stern (who hasn't seen that?) where the upright outboard is wrestled from stern pulpit into and onto the dinghy transom - which can be a real feat in even mild conditions - the Torqueedo (or similar) is in two, easy to manage pieces.

Owners lay the electric down on aft or side deck (no worry of fuel leaking), get in the dinghy and easily lift the outboard onto the transom, no need of assitance. Then they reach for the battery and snap it on and go.

Udi

Mar 23, 2021
Hunter 45 ds 2010 Jaffa
I watched at least 3 coastal cruisers wrestle with outboards that wouldn't start after 3 weeks on the water. That's not an unusual sight. Most opted to row to shore dragging the OB along.

But having used both, a big plus of a Torqueedo or similar, is the ease of installing and removing these handier, lighter packages.

Unlike the wrestling match at the stern (who hasn't seen that?) where the upright outboard is wrestled from stern pulpit into and onto the dinghy transom - which can be a real feat in even mild conditions - the Torqueedo (or similar) is in two, easy to manage pieces.

Owners lay the electric down on aft or side deck (no worry of fuel leaking), get in the dinghy and easily lift the outboard onto the transom, no need of assitance. Then they reach for the battery and snap it on and go.
Well !
increased dilemma but valuable info.
Many thanks.