"To dodge or not to dodge?" That is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

We have a Hunter 285 and now that the season is almost over we've been thinking about having a dodger made for next year. In fact, we're thinking of having a local canvas man redo the existing bimini (replace the old wore canvas), ad a new dodger and connecting piece between the two. Some of the advantages of a dodger are obvious but I'd like to hear from anyone who has one on their boat. Is it something you couldn't live without or wonder how you ever lived without it? Not worth the money? Do you feel it adds value to the boat? Our canvas guy wants $2500 for everything, dodger, bimini and connecting peice - installed. Or should we just save our $$$ and live wthout it?

P

Paul Akers

First purchase

When we bought or Legend 37 it didn't have a dodger. It was the first purchase we made. We had one on our previous boat (Catalina 25) and learned that we didn't want to do without one. If you spend time in your cockpit and like to sit and relax, you will learn very quickly how nice they are. Then there's the times that you are reaching and the spray flies over the bow and into the cockpit; or the rain; or the wind; or the cold...need I say more about protection?

T

Tom

Love the dodger

I love our dodger. Extends the season when it is chilly, provides protection for the campionway in rain, can be opened for airflow when hot. My dodger was in place when I bought the boat and I will replace it when it fails. Tom

D

Dakota Jim Russell

Took 15 years and 3 boats but

I'd never have another one without it. Thought it would be hot. Quite reverse as it provides shade in the evening, yet allows plenty of air through on a hot day. I can't believe that it took my wife 15 years to convince me.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Yes, yes and yes !!

Bob: I would have to agree with the other posters. I waited way to long for the dodger. It was one of the better additions to the boat. In the spring time when the weather is cool you can leave the windows in and sailing even when it is a little damp is no big deal. As the weather warms we change out our plastic windows for sun screens. When the real heat hits we remove the center window unless we are using it to keep the sun out. I would recommend that you have hand holds on the sides and make all the windows zip outs. Also have a frame made that has no straps. It is must stronger and rigid. If you are changing colors, lighter is slightly cooler (especially when you are standing under the bimini with your head near the fabric. I am sort of fond of the gray (we have Pacific Blue).

K

Kenneth Pfaff

Just getting one installed

I am in the process of getting a dodger installed. If you scroll down several posts you will find mine with a link to a number of pictures I took during part of the installation. I have experienced too many times when on a long trip and the COLD wind is in my face for hours and hours, and you are chilled to the bone, and that is with 4 of 5 layers of clothing.

E

Ed Schenck

Difference of opinion.

Sailing for me is being out in the open air. I have a dodger and some seasons, like this past one, I don't even install it. Maybe it's because I am claustrophobic. :) But I like to lean back against the rail, the wheel spoke between my toes, and still be able to see the fishermen I am about to run over. And they really interrupt the air flow through the cockpit. In our marina there are so many boats with full enclosures, and year round! Cannot understand sailing like that but it must be the thing to do. On the other hand, when the waves are breaking over the cabin trunk, it sure is handy! I also have a bimini and can't wait for overcast days or late fall so I can fold it up. I use it because I respect the damage sun can do and need the shade for those hot summer days.

E

Eric

Ours saved my life ...

When your motoring for 10 hours a day in freezing rain ... you cannot live without it. We have the set up you're considering and it's been a life saver. Then, when the weather is nice, we roll up the center window ... peel off the side windows and fold up the bimini. It works great. As long as you're having the whole thing customized, make sure they put a little window in the top of the bimini (or connecting piece ... depending on where you stand), with a velcro "fold-back." If you're anything like me, you will miss seeing the tell tales and the wind indicator with the full enclosure in place.

R

Rich Wallace

Ed, Liked The Fisherman Comment

Ed, I have yet to figure out why there are clusters of fishermen in boats too small to be on the lake, one every rhumb line I lay out. We went to Erieau over Labor Day and ran into a fleet about 35 miles northeast of Sandusky in the middle of the lake???? Half of them are out in boats I would not take on Sandusky Bay. It is a wonder we don't have more drownings. I often wonder what they are thinking as we weave through them....probably something like "What is that idiot sailboat doing here?"

R

Rich Wallace

Ed, Liked The Fisherman Comment

Ed, I have yet to figure out why there are clusters of fishermen in boats too small to be on the lake, one every rhumb line I lay out. We went to Erieau over Labor Day and ran into a fleet about 35 miles northeast of Sandusky in the middle of the lake???? Half of them are out in boats I would not take on Sandusky Bay. It is a wonder we don't have more drownings. I often wonder what they are thinking as we weave through them....probably something like "What is that idiot sailboat doing here?"

T

Terry

WE HAD A DODGER/BIMINI/FULL ENCLOSURE...

on our previous H28 and our new P42. I leave the dodger up year around, but put the bimini and side curtains up in foul weather when my first mate is along. I prefer sailing in rain gear rather than bimini and side curtains. Also, look into a hard dodger. They cost more but are stronger to withstand off shore sailing. Our dodger was the size that you can see over the top when standing. The bimini sloped upwards towards the back so that you stand beneath it while at the helm. Terry

T

Terry

WE HAD A DODGER/BIMINI/FULL ENCLOSURE...

on our previous H28 and our new P42. I leave the dodger up year around, but put the bimini and side curtains up in foul weather when my first mate is along. I prefer sailing in rain gear rather than bimini and side curtains. Also, look into a hard dodger. They cost more but are stronger to withstand off shore sailing. Our dodger was the size that you can see over the top when standing. The bimini sloped upwards towards the back so that you stand beneath it while at the helm. Terry

K

Kevin

Dodger is a great air block.

That's why I get seasick every time I sit behind one.

K

Kevin

Dodger is a great air block.

That's why I get seasick every time I sit behind one.

N

nick maggio

you won't be sorry

I have dodger and connecter to bimini on my 290 and we love it keeps you protected and it really helps in so many ways I leave it up all year its worth the money ,my wife loves it and that gets her out on the boat more,get the front window opening its great,look in owners photo's 290 .

N

nick maggio

you won't be sorry

I have dodger and connecter to bimini on my 290 and we love it keeps you protected and it really helps in so many ways I leave it up all year its worth the money ,my wife loves it and that gets her out on the boat more,get the front window opening its great,look in owners photo's 290 .

Status
Not open for further replies.