To cut or not to cut pushpit

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Hello all!
For ease of boarding the boat from the swim ladder I was wondering if it would be wise to cut the center section of the rear pushpit and make the center section so that I could swing open the bar to have access.
What do you think?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Hello all!
For ease of boarding the boat from the swim ladder I was wondering if it would be wise to cut the center section of the rear pushpit and make the center section so that I could swing open the bar to have access.
What do you think?
I'd do it as long as you can put some stanchions in to well support the rail you cut the middle from. People will be pulling on them as they come up the ladder.

You might consider a life line wire or dynema line for the gate instead of a hinging tube.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We have a short section of lifeline across the top opening there, secured with a pelican hook, instead of the SS tubing. There IS a tube welded across the opening about 8" up from the deck that has to be stepped over, but that's not difficult to do and it strengthens the structure. Putting a hinged section of tubing across the top would likely be quite expensive if you wanted it to be really secure. The tube swinging open might also be cumbersome when open, as it might be unable to be swung out of the way because of the placement of the hinge.