• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

To cheer you all up

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
The coldest we have seen in probably 3 years of milder winters. Milder by our standards that is!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
No thanks...
For Montgomery AL today.....Foretasted high of 72F with 20mph out of the south south-west with a slight drizzle.:biggrin::beer:

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
My son would love to see temp's that warm. He's in High Level, AB, air temp -30'sC with wind chill -40'sC :biggrin:

Jul 30, 2019
My son would love to see temp's that warm. He's in High Level, AB, air temp -30'sC with wind chill -40'sC :biggrin:
That's about 400 miles north of us, but winter temperatures are usually similar. Ours have been even lower than forecast. This morning hit -49F or -45C, not counting wind chill. That equals the lowest I have seen in 16 years here. We just survive through these conditions. Life should resume about Saturday.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice @Hunter216 too bad the photo contest is over.... :(
The dark gray fog hangs heavy here over the house and yard.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Nice @Hunter216 too bad the photo contest is over.... :(
The dark gray fog hangs heavy here over the house and yard.
I’m hoping for a long enough freeze cycle, calm winds to keep the smooth surface. It froze over a few days ago but the wind came up and turned it into ice cubes!! Amazingly noisy as the waves sloshed them around at the shoreline!!

Jul 30, 2019
Nope warp drive is broken!! ;)

I think it’s called a sundog, I could be wrong as I think they are on both sides???
I have seen sun dogs and they have a kind if lenticular sppearance, not sharply defined as in your great photo. I was thinking it was an effect from the layered lenses in your apparatus.

Well fielded on the Tatooine!

Bob

• Helpful
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I have seen sun dogs and they have a kind if lenticular sppearance, not sharply defined as in your great photo. I was thinking it was an effect from the layered lenses in your apparatus.

Well fielded on the Tatooine!

Bob
No special lens filter. Just an IPhone but I did take the photo from inside the house through a thermal window so your theory makes sense.

The boys and I enjoying a cool one at the Mos Eisley cantina after a hard day sailing ;)

778E5F6B-29EC-4CC8-AE06-75FEE6C7D886.jpeg