To Buy or not to Buy

Aug 6, 2015
Hiya Folks,

Thinking long and hard about a Catalina Capri 22, I believe after registering the specs should show up in my profile on posting. But here goes anyway;
Sail #786, wing keel, tall rig, seller says 1996 build, he's the 2nd owner. Only ever seen fresh water on the Susquehanna here in SE PA.
Good shape, although minimal equipment, main and a furling jib, (flexible plastic luff with single groove). Old Mariner 5hp 2stk long shaft motor.
Only saw it last night on it's trailer, a Load Rite in decent shape with good tires.

I'm no newbie to boating and sailing, 20 yrs of racing on Sydney Harbor and a coming on 40yrs of cottaging on one of the 1000 Islands, St. Lawrence River.
Been around boats a loooong time.

Now in semi retirement I'm looking for a minimalist cruiser for the NorthEast. Cruising the Great Lakes, a trip down the Erie Canal, gunkholing in the Chesapeake et al. The shoal draft appeals, though from all reports I will lose a bit of upwind performance, though with the tall rig I'm thinking that the extra couple feet of mast and mainsail aspect/ratio should help. After having a hard look at the wing keel, I'm also of a mind that it could easily be improved with some fairing of the leading edges, more bulbous, and an extra 100#s of lead bolted on the bottom of the wings. An extra couple inches of draft wouldn't hurt.

A motivated seller, he's moving shortly, closing on his new house upstate on Monday, so a quick decision is in order. He's come down 10% to $3800.
So the question is should I jump in? Without a sail? Rigging and mast look VG, sails decent, he's had some restitching done, and it's seen very little heavy weather if the seller's story is correct. Running rigging is a bit tired, but the winches feel good. Cushions and interior very clean, he's never spent a night on the boat.

Deal? Thoughts and opinions on price greatly appreciated. Unfortunately my current Golf TDI is not a suitable vehicle for towing, but I do have friends
with pickups.

Cheers,
R*2

Aug 6, 2015
peteten,
Comes with a 5hp LS Mariner that's had a recent impeller installed, the story goes it was bought by the 1st owner when he got the boat at a Philadelphia boat show in "96/"97. Two 6gal tanks included. A four stroke would be nicer, but I can't complain, the motor is there and I'm sure 5hp is plenty.

It also has a deep cycle battery with small solar panel to power the lights and the speedo/depth sounder.

Hershey,
Boat is in real nice shape, not much gear, but that can be considered a plus. Rigging upgrades and a spinnaker would be new. I'd definitely get a #3 100% working jib for the Great Lakes, add a block and tackle for an adjustable backstay and an upgraded outhaul. A mast halyard winch and some rope clutches also on the list. Aviatorjames has his great video on his slick mast raising A-Frame, would mean cruising some canals would be a piece of cake.

Thanks for the input on price, the more research I do the better it looks. Is the major difference on the "Capris" just the cabin/cockpit configuration? The big cockpit is a definite plus for daysailing and racing.

Cheers,
R*2

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Looks like a bargain to me.

Many of your upgrades are included in a "race package" model. So bear that in mind.

PS: the 2 stroke motor will likely be a reliable beast, just use good fuel in it, and stabil, and life will be good.

Aug 6, 2015
SOLD!

Or at least verbally committed over the phone, no handshake on the deal yet.
And the money should be ready by Wed.

Thanks to all for the input, and the power of these internet forums.
Great sources of information and support.

Cheers All!
R*2

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
Can't go wrong there. If you decide it's not what you want or need there are plenty of sailors out there that would buy it from you.,

Jul 19, 2015
btw, very easy to get parts for and to maintain vs. a larger boat or one from a smaller mfr. Catalina has everything online.

Aug 6, 2015
Gents,

Thanks all for the input. Here's what I see as key points; popularity, product support, plethora of parts, new and used, scale, and transportability. No blue water cruiser, but perfect for the myriad of lakes, rivers, and gunkholing possibilities here on the East Coast all the way to the Caribbean.

A purpose built heavier flatter main with a pair of reef points and a #3 jib on the furler, should be able to tackle heavy weather as well. A boom tent would increase useable accomadation/living area dramatically at anchor. From a racing standpoint I gather the wing keel is not the best, but having less than 3' draft is a decided plus in this neck of the woods.

Should be taking posession on Wednesday, got a place to store her on a buddy's farm nearby. There I'll be able to go through the boat and figure out a mast raising system and get a look at the rigging and sails. With Havre de Grace or Coduras State Park (Lake Marburg) less than an hour away, I'll get her in the water after Labor Day for a trial run.

Cheers all,
R*2

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
I think I speak for many of the wing keel owners on this site, and also for my 2 years experience with mine, the boat points pretty darned well with the wing, you merely need to get the boat moving better before you start to pinch, otherwise you just sail sideways.

I have no doubt you'll like the boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-18 Dallas TX
Rrusse11 said:
Gents,

A purpose built heavier flatter main with a pair of reef points and a #3 jib on the furler, should be able to tackle heavy weather as well. A boom tent would increase useable accomadation/living area dramatically at anchor. From a racing standpoint I gather the wing keel is not the best, but having less than 3' draft is a decided plus in this neck of the woods.

Cheers all,
R*2
A flatter main also means a flatter jib.
Have a new suit built to match (each other).

Aug 6, 2015
Hershey & cavelamb,

Thanks for the good points! Not under a tree, and a couple new matching sails would be great.
However after some time spent on the phone with Kent of Catalina Tech support, the first priority
is going to be new standing rigging.

I have the early T swage end attaching to single upper and lower shroud mast tangs. Not well designed.
And with what I am sure is the original 20yr old wire, (factory recommendation is replacement in fresh
water after 10 years), new wire and turnbuckles are on the way. And in the interests of consistency, I'll be
doing the lower shrouds and backstay in 5/32". I'll be going the nicopress and thimble route, I have a swage tool
and some good cutters, lol, if I can find them in inventory.

I'll create forks for the shrouds with the addition of another tang. And do a bolt hung folded fork for the forestay
exiting through the original reinforcedmast cutout. 1/8" x 3/4" 316 flat bar is cheap and available at onlinemetals.com.

Does anyone have an LOA for the "regulation" spinnaker pole length? Guessing here circa 8'.
And spinnaker dimensions for a symetrical type? I'll see if I can get an old J24 kite.
I'm toying with the idea of installing 2 kite halyards. I have a cutout for one just above the forestay attachment,
And then another at the masthead for an asymetric spinnaker.

Running rigging must haves are a pair of cabin top sail tracks for that #3 jib lead on the wish list and install my
recently acquired Lewmar #5 as a halyard winch, I'll put that on the coachhouse also. I'm also now on the hunt
for a aluminum drum #8. Picked one up on Ebay for $30, it was missing the circlip and a pawl spring, the roller
bearings on the main spindle vs the plain on the #7 are a nice upgrade.

Cheers,
R*2

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
Congrat's!!
Awesome little yachts and a lot of great help available here!

...ummm...
...and don't forget to buy some super cool Capri 22 stuff at my online shop!!

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I probably shouldn't gloat that I got my Capri 22 (#281) ready to sail with a 5 HP Nissan (but no trailer) for only $1225 — an eBay charity type seller. This price is an outlier. Accounting for the age, you got a good price!

It is a fun boat that can be trailered or moored, go into lakes or oceans. Earlier this season, it was handling 30+ knot gusting winds without hesitation — but that was the first time I thought a second reef would be nice to have.

Enjoy!

Aug 6, 2015
aviatorjames said:
Congrat's!!
Awesome little yachts and a lot of great help available here!

...ummm...
...and don't forget to buy some super cool Capri 22 stuff at my online shop!!
James,

Don't need any coffee cups, but I sure do like the looks of your Mast raising A frame setup. How much for for one of them? I've got ropes and blocks.

Cheers,
R*2