To all our friends in Maine

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
How are you doing ? Normally you would be getting ready to launch. Is anyone moving around? My friends have a home in Tenants Harbor. They are thinking of skipping coming up this year. Depressing to me. Give us some good news.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
I went up last week to uncover her & check out the usual stuff. Until this weather pattern breaks & it warms up, not going back. It's been chilly up here, not much of a spring.

Seems like many at the boat yard where I store are not going in this year. Most of the folks like myself are from away. Many of the private marinas & their mooring fields are not being put into service.

Last edited:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
It has been too cold to think much about the summer yet. We had snow in southern CT last Sunday (MAY 10th!). People will get the boat bug when it warms up more. Sailing is great for getting away from crowds, and you can also control your environment in a good way.

Nov 25, 2018
Oday 28 Wiscasset, ME
Nice in MidCoast today. My boat goes in this week in Georgetown. Docks have been a little slow going in but mine should go in this week. We put docks in at the yacht club the day before Mother’s Day with both temps and wind in the 30s. Breezed up all last week.

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
They just opened the Marina at Lake Nockamixon. Can now take my boat out to cruise the
Chesapeake; or just flop around on the lake to enjoy ma nature. No accumulated snow at anytime this year and temps are rising into the shorts degrees. Need to test run new furling controls and new fabric on the cabin cushions. This week we're smack in-between the height to the north and north-east turning low weather system. Looking good for sailing.

T Dunn

May 23, 2018
Allied Princess Southwest Harbor
We launch tomorrow morning in Southwest Harbor. As of today there are very few moorings set up for summer in Southwest Harbor. The Great Harbor Marina is open but there are only 2 seasonal boats there now.

As far as coming up to Maine this summer goes, the state currently has a 14 day mandatory quarantine for people coming from out of state. At present the quarantine is in effect until September 1. That may change though. So if you come by boat while the quarantine is in effect you will have to stay aboard for 14 days after you arrive. Time at sea before arriving in the state doesn't count toward the 14 days. The quarantine applies if you come by land too.

It looks like it will be a very quiet season this year. Nothing tourist oriented on Mount Desert Island is open yet. For example Acadia National Park is closed and the free Island Explorer bus has cancelled operations for the summer.

I have not seen any boats out sailing yet this season.

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
I like that mini bow pulpit on your Sabre 30 for the anchor roller. Is that original or an add-on?
Agree that this is likely to be a very strange season for vacations of any kind. Closing of restaurants and lodging facilities make it tough to drive anywhere - in spite of gas on the verge of gas being free!

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Interesting article in the Bangor Daily News today. Many cities like Bangor, Belfast, Bar Harbor, Augusta & Rockport or Rockland have plans in the works that would shut down streets, allow restaurants to use public parking spaces outside their establishments for outside dining. Pretty cool thinking & I think that's a great idea.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
My boat is stored in Eastport and I won't be getting it back due to the border closures, so no season for me either.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Canadian / US border has been closed to all non-essential transits for a while.

Jul 21, 2015
Sabre 30 Mark III South Freeport
Royal River Boat Yard? Your post prompted me to register for the forum just because I can see my boat up on the hill behind you...
Yup, Royal River Boat Yard. Still the best yard for owners of you are going to do your own work. Mike
Royal River Boat Yard? Your post prompted me to register for the forum just because I can see my boat up on the hill behind you...
Yup, Royal River Boat Yard. Still the best yard for owners if you are going to do your own work. I just store the boat there in the winter but we sail from the Harraseeket River. Mike

Jul 21, 2015
Sabre 30 Mark III South Freeport
I like that mini bow pulpit on your Sabre 30 for the anchor roller. Is that original or an add-on?
Agree that this is likely to be a very strange season for vacations of any kind. Closing of restaurants and lodging facilities make it tough to drive anywhere - in spite of gas on the verge of gas being free!
Hi Al, That was an original option from Sabre back in 1986. Simple design and love not having to dig the anchor out of the well. I can post some more pictures if you ate thinking of adding to your Tartan. Mike

Tomusa

Feb 28, 2018
Catalina 310 295 South Portland, ME
We splashed on the 15th. Shakedown cruise on the 22ed and it was 80 degrees. We loved every minute of it. Since that one day it's been much cooler here in South Portland.
20200516_193924.jpg