Tired

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
My boss is on vacation thru today, so I escaped from work early to work on the boat. Taking the cover off early in hopes of an early launch...which didn't happen...resulted in dirty decks I had to scrub on my hands and knees. Then I washed the topsides and scrubbed off some black marks. While the topsides dried I flushed the coolant out of the engine. Then I put two coats of poliglow on the topsides. I am BEAT.

I am also bummed that somehow I apparently forgot to secure the jib halyard when I removed the winter cover. It secured itself to a shroud, which wasn't a problem...the problem is that it beat against the mast for two months removing quite a bit of anodizing at the top of the mast. The yard contract says to secure noisy halyards or they will and will charge me for it...this is a case in which I would have been happy to pay if they had done so. Yard is really slipping. I notified them the the guy next to me had ties his tarps to his jackstands...a big no-no. They did take care of it, but they obviously don't walk the yard much.

Jul 22, 2006
S2 9.2A Battleship Cove
I just finished up repowering my 9.2a with a good used Westerbeke 20B Two. I did as much planning and prep ahead of time, and we pushed out our launch date 3 weeks to give us time to complete the work. Even then, I was really getting tired of traipsing down to the boat (15 minutes away) at every free chance to do "one more thing". The last 4 days before launch have been really hectic, trying to finish up all the details and make her water tight.
Thank God my wife is an ambitious and willing soul. She took care of scraping and bottom painting, cleaning and waxing, sealing those !@#$% windows and other spring cosmetic chores.
But today was launch day! Now to hank on the sails, install the rest of the cushions, scrub out the cockpit, bring down the dishes, bedding, radio.....

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I look forward to seeing your performance with the 20B. If I had to repower, I would do it myself and I like the 20B as it is 18hp in a 2 cylinder engine which would drop right into the location of my 2QM15. The fact that the exhaust is on the opposite side is news to me.

Jul 22, 2006
S2 9.2A Battleship Cove
My only other experience was with a very tired YSM12 so to me, the difference is like night and day! My boss just happened to have a Gori 3 blade folding prop 'laying around" that he gave me. It was the correct pitch and diameter for my boat according the Gori recommendation. It's a "2 speed" prop, depending on whether its opened in forward or reverse (faster in reverse pitch, more power in forward). I test-cruised it last week and the boat does a steady 5.5 kts in "reverse pitch" at 3000 RPM. Recommended cruising RPM is 2500, and at that we were doing more like 5.1 kts. Just as important is the highly improved thrust and response to throttle, moving from the dock and around the marina. Not to mention how much smoother it is all around. No more backstay vibrating a B flat! lol

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Hmmm...my tired old 2QM15 (14hp) cruises at 5.5 knots at 2800 rpm. To be frank I had hoped to hear better but sure beats a one lung!

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
I see 6 knots with my 2GM20F, but only if everything is sparkling clean below. I've got some hefty barnacles on the prop right now and am hard pressed to get much more than 3 knots! Got a diver coming to take care of those shortly. I tried scraping them myself Sunday and found out how pathetic this 63 year old is at doing much of anything without a steady supply of air. I want that Gori prop, though!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.