Time to tighten main furler?

Mar 16, 2021
hunter 41 DS tacoma
With main mostly unfurled I see the remaining couple wraps are aft. See pic. Would tightening the foil center it better? If so, how do y’all fold this type of sail when removed? Doesn’t seem to want to flake

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
With main mostly unfurled I see the remaining couple wraps are aft. See pic. Would tightening the foil center it better? If so, how do y’all fold this type of sail when removed? Doesn’t seem to want to flake.
Would tightening the foil center it better? Are you saying the mainsil does not come all the way out of the mast?

How do y’all fold this type of sail when removed? I have done this many, many times..........I drop the sail on the deck and flake it the best I can then fold the sail from each end until I have a carryable sail and put into a cart. Once I get it to a large grassy ares I lay it out, then fold the sail like any other sail: How to Fold a Sail (Mainsail or Headsail) For safe Storage | Precision Sails (precisionsailloft.com)

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
There should never be any sail left on the furler foil in a fully deployed (non-reefed) situation. If that is the case, the foot of your sail is too long. Consult a sailmaker on re-cutting the sail for your boat and rig.
To fold the sail, remove it from the boat. remove any vertical battens you may have in it. put it on a non-abrasive flat surface (a big lawn will do) and flake it from the top.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Check the halyard tension, Selden furling masts only work well with proper halyard tension, Dyneema line recommended.

Mar 16, 2021
hunter 41 DS tacoma
I wasn’t clear. I didn’t fully deploy because the white is easier to photograph. My main question is whether a tightened foil would be centered better. The sail seems to deploy fine.

Mar 16, 2021
hunter 41 DS tacoma
Do we accept that there will be some friction/rubbing then? Just seems like a few inches forward would eliminate that.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
Thanks! Will tighten
I did what you are proposing and it made things worse. The manual mentions that too tight is worse that too loose. I re-loosened mine and it started to work better. My problem is a 17 year old stretched sail. I also had a sailmaker over and he suggested lubing the top bearings.

Feb 21, 2013
If the in-mast furling mainsail is > 15 years old, might be time for a new sail...........consider a tri-radial crusing laminate vs. dacron. Less stretch and furls in and out better.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
If the in-mast furling mainsail is > 15 years old, might be time for a new sail...........consider a tri-radial crusing laminate vs. dacron. Less stretch and furls in and out better.
+1 here. Just replaced my sails at the end of last season. They were original to the 2009 boat and the main was intermittently a pain to deploy and roll up. I tried everything. New main, no problems. And the battenless tri-radial dacron works great and has a a very nice shape to it. Laminate would've been more expensive and probably had a shorter life, but would definitely be even thinner and no doubt the best furling of all.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
According to Seldens manual on inmast furling the foil needs to be fairly loose. When tensioned properly the foil can be moved easily side to side but not come in contact with the mast (without the sail). Its my experience that the top bearing may only be serviced with the mast unstepped as you have to raise the mast head off the mast in order to access it. We had ours down last fall and completely rebuilt the furling system, the only way I could see to service the top bearing is while the mast is down.

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I love this hopeful line in the Selden manual you posted:

"The spare Mainsail, which should be carried on board every yacht, can be hoisted in the intergrated sail groove at the aft face of the mast."

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I love this hopeful line in the Selden manual you posted:

"The spare Mainsail, which should be carried on board every yacht, can be hoisted in the intergrated sail groove at the aft face of the mast."
I have an old mainsail perhaps I should have aboard the boat just in case, it only weights about 70# and folded is 3'x4' now to find a place to store that....... come on Selden really!

• Ha
Feb 21, 2013
According to Seldens manual on inmast furling the foil needs to be fairly loose. When tensioned properly the foil can be moved easily side to side but not come in contact with the mast (without the sail)..........
Hoping to learn something about furling. Not sure how I can accomplish that. What I read on page 7 under furling was "The leech should be kept fairly tight when reefing or furling. Adjust the topping lift to achieve this, and the sail will form a good tight roll around the luff extrusion". As a result, I find furling the mainsail in tight mitigate the risk of the sail fluffing up inside the mast and subsequently getting stuck.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I have an old mainsail perhaps I should have aboard the boat just in case, it only weights about 70# and folded is 3'x4' now to find a place to store that....... come on Selden really!
I know, right? You know how much rum you can store in that space?!?!?!?!!?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Hoping to learn something about furling. Not sure how I can accomplish that. What I read on page 7 under furling was "The leech should be kept fairly tight when reefing or furling. Adjust the topping lift to achieve this, and the sail will form a good tight roll around the luff extrusion". As a result, I find furling the mainsail in tight mitigate the risk of the sail fluffing up inside the mast and subsequently getting stuck.
The statement I made was in reference to adjusting the mainsail foil as per Selden instructions resuting in the foil being rather loose when adjusted correctly.