Time to replace standing rigging

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
I have a 2003 356 with the original standing rigging. I've never gone through replacing standing rigging so I could use some advice.

I'd love to just hand it off to the boatyard and have it done, but I'd like to save a few bucks if possible (not at the expense of safety or quality of course.) So I'm exploring all options.

I see that this site sells complete sets of standing rigging, and the manual shows the standard lengths and fittings for the boat. Do they generally fall within specs? Or would a person normally drop the rig, remove the rigging, measure it, then wait 4 weeks for delivery? I don't think that would be that feasible given lay days.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't think I would trust standard lengths.
The B&R rig is generally pre-tuned off the boat, which is above my skill set. So I think you have to drop the mast anyway. For me I would probably hire a rigger with experience with that rig. But I don't want to discourage you. You may have the skill.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
The yard I would like to use is checking to see if their rigger has experience with B&R. They don't have an in-house rigging shop, so my thought was to order the rigging here and have the rigger tune the rig. I can follow directions, but I'd rather leave rig tuning to someone that know what they're doing.

Was hoping to hear from someone that had success ordering rigging online.

I don't think I would trust standard lengths.
The B&R rig is generally pre-tuned off the boat, which is above my skill set. So I think you have to drop the mast anyway. For me I would probably hire a rigger with experience with that rig. But I don't want to discourage you. You may have the skill.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Hunter Dealers usually have riggers familiar with the B&R rig to commission their new boats. You may inquire with them about the job or a referral to an independent contractor they may use. We have had a forestay replaced and the B&R rig tuned at our dock. The rigger was independent contractor for Hunter, he came in a van with all the tools and materials needed to build the new forestay on site plus the necessary fittings to install a new furler.