Time to replace sails

Oct 25, 2013
Columbia 8.3 Vancouver
Hello,

New to the site, have had the boat for 3 years now and working through everything and learning a lot. We are now looking at replacing the foresails on our 8.3. Currently has 160%, 110%, and storm jib with all being hanked on. We would like to know what size of foresails would be useful. Not sure if we will go to the expense of a furler but still open to suggestions.

thanks

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Welcome Jennifer, I have enjoyed this site for 3 years too. I ended up deciding on a 135 % for sailing in our area, but I have an assym I use as well, which is useful for crossing the straight.
Hard to put a price on having a furler, for ease of storage, reefing, and deployment. Loss of pointing is an issue, but my shoal draft hull forces me to point lower anyway.
You can compare sail prices on the SBO store on this site, they are Doyle sails. You can call the local lofts, sometimes they have something. Should be a deal somewhere this time of year.
Fair Winds

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
About that "overlap"

Hello,

New to the site, have had the boat for 3 years now and working through everything and learning a lot. We are now looking at replacing the foresails on our 8.3. Currently has 160%, 110%, and storm jib with all being hanked on. We would like to know what size of foresails would be useful. Not sure if we will go to the expense of a furler but still open to suggestions.

thanks
When we bought our current boat (way back in '94) it came with a headfoil. We put on a new 135% and a Harken furler. If I had known how much we would like the furler, we'd have done it many years earlier on our prior boat! :)

About the headsail, while it's common wisdom (overused words...) that a 135 is some sort of great compromise between a 150 and a "working jib" .... I followed the advise of the sailmaker friend last year and replaced the 135 with a 95%. (I would have added a track forward for self-tacking, but the expense was just not in our budget.)
It sheets in very quickly, and uses some short T track just inside the shroud bases. Boat points better than ever and goes to weather at 6 kts plus in winds over 10 kt.
We went with a roll up jib with vertical battens, so that the upper half has about the same area and drive as a 110 or 114, IMHO.

Reaching & running are a tad slower, but we still have the spinnaker for that.

Something to consider when you go shopping. We were lucky in having a helpful local sail loft where they will talk about what's best for us rather than just selling the largest sail they can push off on customers.

.... just one more data point...
;)

Fair winds,
Loren in PDX

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
What is wrong with your sails? Which of the 3 do you use most?

Oct 25, 2013
Columbia 8.3 Vancouver
What is wrong with your sails? Which of the 3 do you use most?
They are all original, so... 35 years, I guess they just don't make things to last.. The most used was the 160 but since the shape is so bad, it folds around everything when you try and tack and takes all the fun out of hull speed. The 110 is used more because of the shape of the 160 but again its shape causes problems when reaching. The storm jib is just there and has never been used by us not sure of use by po. My understanding of the 8.3 is it uses a smaller main (9'ft boom) and uses the foresails for power and thus we are a little worried about downsizing the genoa.

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
We average 10 to 15 knots wind and less in summer, especially English Bay daysailing, hence the no2 jib suggestion. You can furl to 110 % with 2 turns, for most points of sail.

I asked Santa for this, a code 1 reacher on a furler....ho, ho, ho, get real she said
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHh0ySnu7RQ

Oct 25, 2013
Columbia 8.3 Vancouver
We average 10 to 15 knots wind and less in summer, especially English Bay daysailing, hence the no2 jib suggestion. You can furl to 110 % with 2 turns, for most points of sail.

I asked Santa for this, a code 1 reacher on a furler....ho, ho, ho, get real she said
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHh0ySnu7RQ
I have the same problem asking Santa, must be a Santa thing..

The 135 seems to be what most people size down to from what I have seen, just a little worried of giving away too much. Some have also suggested going with a gennaker when reaching to help with the loss and would also help downwind. I had an experience on a charter boat with a furler that would not wind in. Sitting on the bow being tossed around while trying to get the furler to roll again has left a sour taste but then do not know how often it happens or how abused it had been.

Oct 25, 2013
Columbia 8.3 Vancouver
Thanks for all your info, we have decided to go with a 145% from UK sails from Sydney, BC. Stuart has been more than helpful and very patient with my many questions and am very looking forward to the sail(s). Thanks for all your input, it was very much appreciated.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Thanks for all your info, we have decided to go with a 145% from UK sails from Sydney, BC. Stuart has been more than helpful and very patient with my many questions and am very looking forward to the sail(s). Thanks for all your input, it was very much appreciated.
Good loft. Is Tim still coming in to work/advise at all?
Gotta say, Thatsa Huge head sail.
Hope your primaries at least size 40 or 45 size. (Most production boats have grossly undersized "standard" winches, including ours.)

Loren