Time to rebuild the head pump?

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
A couple of weeks ago I closed up the boat to come home. I left the boat with the with the head pumped dry, pump lever in the closed position and the raw water sea cock shut. When I returned, the head was filled with . . . maybe you can guess. I thought,"Oh, the tank must be full." So I motored over to the gas dock and pumped it out.

Today, when I returned to the boat after a few days the head was backed up, again.

The interesting thing is this only happens if the sea cock is shut. If I'm on the boat and it is open everything is fine.

Now, the only thing I can think of is to rebuild the pump. Is this a correct assumption?

Alec

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Replace the joker valve and clean the tank vent. Either one of those will cause the problem you describe.

@PeggyHall HeadMistress will not doubt have additional suggestions.

Nov 4, 2018
Hadn't thought of the tank vent - will look into that next time I'm out there. As far as the joker valve and given the age of the head, might as well rebuild it for peace of mind. The kit would only set me back $80.00.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The interesting thing is this only happens if the sea cock is shut. If I'm on the boat and it is open everything is fine.
I have questions that need answers before I can offer any advice or suggestions:
Which seacock--toilet intake or toilet or tank discharge?
Does the toilet get harder to pump when it's used a lot?
Does the line from the toilet to the tank run uphill?
I'm guessing that your toilet is a Jabsco. If so, replace the pump instead of rebuilding. You should be able to find a new pump on sale for only 15-20% more than the rebuild kit and removing and replacing 4 bolts and 2 hoses is a LOT easier that taking a pump apart to rebuild it. Better yet, spend a bit more and upgrade the toilet to the top rated manual toilet--the Raritan PH SuperFlush Raritan PH SuperFlush If the hoses are anywhere near as old as you indicate that the toilet is, or they stink, they should be replaced too.
Hadn't thought of the tank vent - will look into that next time I'm out there.
Do you know how to check a tank vent for a blockage...where to start?
--Peggie

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018
Answers, Miss Peggie,
- Toilet intake, I'm on the Great Lakes so the discharge has been disabled.
- No, but it does have more suction when water is in the bowl.
- No
- Groco HF, age . . . 33 years old

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
After the bowl is pumped out keep pumping for a while. If you have a vented loop in the line you need to push all the stuff up and over the loop. Air pressure from the pump will get most of it. Peggie can correct me if wrong but I think like ten strokes after the bowl is empty.

Nov 4, 2018
I went ahead and rebuilt the pump. Given the state of some of the parts, it was over due. Problem went away. On dlochner's advise, I also checked the vent line with plumber's snake and all was clear. I've gone to regiment of pumping the tank once a week - whether it needs it or not - just to be safe.
I think we can call this one resolved.
Thanks all,
Alec

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I went ahead and rebuilt the pump. Given the state of some of the parts, it was over due.
Any 33 year old toilet would have been overdue for a rebuild 20 years ago!

After the bowl is pumped out keep pumping for a while. If you have a vented loop in the line you need to push all the stuff up and over the loop. Air pressure from the pump will get most of it. Peggie can correct me if wrong but I think like ten strokes after the bowl is empty.
There is no set number of pump strokes needed to push bowl contents over a loop. Any manual toilet that working anywhere close to factory spec (which means kept well lubricated, a new joker valve annually and rebuilt on the factory recommended schedule) can easily lift bowl contents up to 4' or move 'em up to 6 linear feet in the DRY mode (and you can double the number of flushes your tank can hold if you learn how to use the dry mode to do more than just empty the bowl), But it takes a lot more strokes in either mode if the joker valve is worn (see my article "joker valve 101" in the archives and also in my book for the reason why) ...and it also depends on the make/model/age of the toilet. A Raritan PHII pump is a lot more powerful than a Jabsco.

--Peggie