Time for new batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil Rains

It's time to replace the batteries on our 376. My first thought is to just replace the 4D...then I thought about an 8D. The old 4D just didn't have enough oomph to keep everything going. I've since learned how to regulate the refer, but it still sucks a lot of power. I'm looking for suggestions.

M

mark p

Golf Cart

I replaced the 4D batt in my 376 with two trojan 225 amp 6 volt batts wired in a series to make 12 volts 225 amps. They work great, plenty of juice for everything, they even fit inside the 4d batt box if you put some braces in there. Also you will need to lengthen the pos batt cable, no big deal! Good luck! Miles Pincus s/v Las Brisas Hunter 376

B

Bob Bass

Consider This

You might consider going with the 8D if there is sufficient room. You will get a lot more capacity. Also, look into the absorbed glass matt (AGM) batteries made by Life Cycle (not sure of the name, I am not on the boat and don't have my West catalog). They have 255 amp/hours of capacity and charge faster than a normal lead acid. You can get them at West. Also consider putting on a Link 1000, especialy if you have an inverter. I did and now I have a lot of confidence in knowing the condition and current capacity of my house bank at all times.

C

Chuck Wolfe

Golf Cart Batteries

I researched this like crazy awhile ago. The best bet is to use Golf Cart batteries in series. You don't need to kill yourself to lift them and they, by far, get you the most amps for the $. They will last 5 years or more with a smart charger and proper maintenance. Four or six of them won't cost you a ton of money and you can get 450-675 amp hours. I recommend getting a Link 2000R and an AGM for a starting battery only. Isolate the AGM and it will hold a charge for a year. You will only need to use it in an emergency. I talked to two experts about this and they both have come to the same conclusion. chuckwolfe@mail.com

P

Paul Bednarzyk

Batteries

Phil, I just went through this on my 380 and concur with the comments regarding the golf cart batteries. By moving the starter battery and inverter aft about 10 inches, I had enough room to put in 4 golf cart batteries in the space formally occupied by the standard 4D. Now I have plenty of juice for my reefer, inverter, lights, fans, etc. I also agree with Bob and Chuck about the usefulness of a monitoring system. I went with a Link 2000 as it had the clearest display and controls both the inverter and charger functions of my Freedom 20. Check the wholesaler for your local golf course, I saved $35 a battery from the advertised price in West or BoatUS. Paul Bednarzyk S/V Knot Again

A

Alex

Trojan..

I have installed 2 6V Trojans , 225amp/h from West Marine as house battery, along with multi-stage charger and a multi-meter monitoring device on my '29.5'. After 5 years of carefull use ,altough somehow weaker now ,it looks they might perform good enough for another year or two .. It was a good choice . Make sure that if you put 2 different kind/size of batteries for starter and house -as they probably should be in theory- you charge them separately according to their specification. ..Or simplier , go for two banks of deep-cycle for both needs ,which might be heavier but eassily to mentain and charge.

J

Jay Hill

I have a Question too

Several folks in my area have considered the same golf-cart solution to mega-power. My question is how do you charge them correctly? When connecting the batteries in series, the charger sees twelve volts, of course, but now it sees twelve cells instead of six???? Each of the six cells in a 12v battery produces/provides/stores roughly 2.4vdc. I was under the impression a 6v battery also has six cells at roughly 1.3vdc each. HOW does the battery charger perform equalization with 12 cells when it thinks there are six? From the previous posts, this is obviously not a problem as the batteries last a long time. Could someone please explain the construction of a 6v and it's charging requirements?

J

Justin Wolfe

3 cells

A 6V battery only has 3 cells instead of 6. So 2 6V batteries in series gives you roughly 12 volts and 6 cells. My last set of 4 6Volt batteries lasted 13 years. Finally replaced because it seemed like the right thing to do.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
$/battery/cycle

We first put in golf carts in '93, two banks for a total of four batteries on our H-L35 and they are still going strong even though they get very little exercise during the off season (Oct to around April) which is hard on batteries. Maybe every other week I'll visit the boat and turn the charger on so this is probably the worst treatment they get - standing idle. Besides the benifit of not breaking your back (lift half a battery at a time), the number of deep cycles advertised, around 700, is probably an understatement of what one can expect. People in the business tend to agree that even 1,500 is not out of reason if they're properly taken care of (not like I do). Doing a $/battery/cycle analysis really makes the 'carts' look good. It's good to have the batteries in a location where it's easy to check the electrolyte level because with use one does have to add water periodically. Since we're not 'blue-water' cruisers they work good for us. Oh, we're really going to put them to use when the new microwave shows up!!!!!!

P

Paul Bednarzyk

6V Batteries

By the way, I forgot to mention in my post that the betteries purchased were made by trojan. Total cost for 4 batteries including core fee and sales tax $260. Paul Bednarzyk S/V Knot Again

P

PJ

Go with 6 volt golf cart batteries

Phil, I suggest you talk to Dave Knight, as he has installed them in a bennetau 42, loaded with microwave, refrigerator, ice machine etc. I have a big 8D installed in my H34 and although it gives me plenty of juice, its a backbreaker. Forget about taking it in & out for the winter. When this 8D gives up the ghost, I'm going with 2 sets of 2 per set 6V golf cart batteries. They will take a deeper discharge than any marine battery with less damage. I will still have a second bank of the usual 12V starter battery, but the house system will be changed over. And if one cell goes bad its not as expensive to replace 1 6V vs the entire 8D. Paul Winiarz

J

JFun

400AH for a 376

I too have a 376 and needed to increase battery capacity, but lacked space. I moved the battery charger forward to the hanging locker and used the vacated space for two 27s. I connected these to the 4D. I now have over 400 AH for the house. I always thought, the batteries had to be the same capacity,but by reading Nigel CalderI found out otherwise

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Answer for Jay Hill

We bought our microwave, a Samsung electronic pad, 600W, M/N MU3250W, from brandsmall.com. This is one of the only models that would fit on the aft hanging locker without doing cabinet work. It took three months to get here but it finally arrived and is sitting right now in the living room where my wife can admire it (yeah, sure!). Cost was very cheap, less than $80 (I think) including shipping. It is not a marine unit so as a precaution I'll unplug it when not in use as corrosion could cause a short in the circuit board and inadvertantly cause it to come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.