Tiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bow & Becky

We recently purchased a 1987 25 MacGregor and amoung other things, need to put the tiller back together, it has bent parts so need the diagram to see how it should be put together properly or at least a picture of one with hardware, Please help-----

R

Rich Songer

As told to me.....

Rudder Rigging Submitted by Brian M of Minot ND and Hayes VA on 06/13 at 10:57PM regarding MacGregor 25 I am a new owner of an 85 MAC 25. Fortunatly in good shape plus I made a friend with a guy who has one in my marina and has been a wealth of info. Ok to answer you question.... Your rudder I expect has two holes in it. With it fully lowered here is how it goes. Starting at the lower more forward hole thread one end of a 3/8 marine rope through the hole from Right (starboard) to left (port) and put a simple overhand knot to stop it from coming out of the hole. Next thread the rope under and then up through the pulley.....next continue up and over the cleat.....now back down to the other higher more aft hole and thread the rope through starboard to port and put a knot in it. Now before you put the second knot in with the rudder down pull the rope up (basically pulling the the rudder down into postion and with pressure......now tie off to the cleat....then put some slack between the cleat and the second hole and put in the knot. Now to raise the rudder un cleat and lift the rudder with the end of rope tied at the second hole.....once all the way rasied cleat it....loer it in reverse. I will try to attach a drawing. If this helps let me know. There are different rudders. Brian Muller Brian was a wealth of information and did include a drawing, I'm not sure where I put it and when I find it I'll send it along. It was the only thing I had to rig my rudder.....

J

John Dawson

Tiller and rudder

If you mean the whole rudder and tiller, there is a picture posted on 7/16 including the line. (or is it rope? My friend Steve says he has identified about thirteen actual ropes on ships, the newest find being a breast-rope which keeps the leadsman from falling out of the chains, and another which is used to ream out the passage under the head.) Anyway, if you search the archives for the word 'circa' in the reply title, it should come up. I don't think all Mac tillers were designed the same, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.