Tiller tamer recommendations

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Just finished my install on my S2 7.9... it too has a high tiller, and short space next to the tiller on the seat... Another option is to do things this way.
http://youtu.be/u7oEqz1EUyM

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Listen Hersh like I told my good friend (who also said the same thing to me)... I have to race it at least a season, and win a few races, so you know, I can advertise the boat as a "proven race winner." It leads to like resail (heheh resale) value.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Wam said:
I got my 22 a couple of years ago and love it for the sensitivity and responsiveness it offers.
I know we each have our preference, and nothing wrong with that, but I am surprised that there is so much interest in taming the tiller other than by hand.
When I am alone on the boat I might use a tiller tamer when I need to reef but otherwise I manually operate the tiller to enable me to overtake those bigger boats (with autopilots?).
I'm not being critical but I find it to be interesting that so many would want an autopilot on such a design of boat.
Most of the time, my hand is on the tiller — especially when racing (and I am not the competitive type) simply wanting to do my best.

But I lately have sailed alone or with my wife who has lost a fair amount of her agility after breaking her ankle a year ago. So there are times that I want to safely and leisurely attend to details on deck such as tending to the sails (or biologicals down below). In those times, the Tiller Pilot extends my capabilities.

I also did notice that when using the Tiller Pilot, it was easy to relax almost too much compared to using the tiller by hand.

When out for a short-handed sail, the Tiller Pilot is used for just "minutes" at a time. If on a longer "cruise", it might be used more.

Jan 22, 2008
Curt said:
Thanks for the clarification. 3.5" pedestal and a tiller mount bracket in combination. I was hoping to not use a lower bracket on the tiller so as to not clutter it up.
Curt
Curt,

Shnool's video (http://youtu.be/u7oEqz1EUyM) shows his Tiller Pilot using a pushrod extension to allow mounting on the deck and tiller. The extensions are from 30 mm to 300 mm (just over an inch to almost 12 inches). You can see the joint line if you look closely. Since I will be ordering a new one to replace the much older (and now faulty) TP100, I will be considering the pushrod extension.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Yeah I actually have a 30mm (1.2 in) and a 150mm (5.9 in) extension stacked on the TP.
But I didn't know that the pedestals were removable, it influenced my decision I figured it would have blocked my lazarette hatch (I now realize the pedestal for the foot of the TP, are threaded in, and removable making the surface nearly completely smooth)... so I am trying THIS position first to see if it's acceptable, if it's not I have 2 drops (for the tiller side, one is 3" the other is 5"), and I'll try the pedestal mount if this becomes cumbersome.

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
Wam,

I typically sail with a Forespar tiller extension in hand. Being lazy it allows me to sit back against my cushioned boarding ladder, feet up on the seat and relax while cruising along. I utilize the "redneck tiller tamer" if I need to be free of the helm for a short while for some reason. Maybe a quick sail trim, to untangle a line or get yet another frosty adult beverage. I often sail alone. The auto pilot comes in handy when we have an unusual north wind when I could set sail and aim for Toledo. The auto pilot makes for a nice afternoon out and back out with friends. It is not something I would use often but as long as I have it why not make it functional.

John,

I was aware of the extensions but thought the length from the deck mount control to the tiler was to large a span. It would be the easiest solution so I may rethink my application in the spring. That is if we ever thaw out.

Cheers All
Curt

Jan 22, 2008
Once it warms (and it will!) I will be checking out the possibilities of using the pushrod extension to avoid needing to use the pedestal. the pedestal does work well but I need to unscrew it to fully open the lazarette. Simply one less step to deal with. Since the Tiller Pilot and extension rods need to hold up only themselves, the support issue is probably a "non".

Sounds like Curt and I like to use a little backup now and then when we are short handed...

Jan 22, 2008
Shnool,

One of your videos showed how you cross-sheeted using the genoa winches.
One look and it was all clear — "but of course!"
Thanks for sharing.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Probably this light air close reach video I did with my phone... Tiller pilot folks. Now think about it, I tied the new TP into my wind instrument so it can steer to wind. Should be fun for making these "ghost sailboat" videos.
http://youtu.be/hl4-oSX2Bk

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
Hey Shnool,

Really, "Born To Be Wild" ! Nothing says wild man like dry steering your boat, on the hard, in a garage. Maybe a splash of water was in order. :lol:

Cheers,
Curt

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
I laughed when I posted the video, cause I truly didn't pay any attention to the song playing when I did that. I setup the stereo in the boat first because my pole barn has no tunes... then I threw a USB stick of music I had into it. I hadn't gotten around to organizing the music yet, so it was playing for a couple hours by the time I finished my wiring. I took a quick video to make sure it was working OK, because I had some technical questions on operation... music was an after thought... I suppose I could have stripped it from the vid.

Brings a new meaning to "Sailing on the Hard" though doesn't it?