Tiller swing takes up space in cockpit...

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
I have not spent any real time on other tiller-steered boats, so I don’t have anything to compare my experience to. But it sure seems that having to move the tiller takes up a lot of space in the cockpit of my 26S. I seem to spend a lot of time saying things like “sorry hunny, you can’t sit there...”, and “would you mind moving forward a bit more so I don’t hit you with the tiller?” This includes moving myself around, as i can’t pull the tiller into my belly too far either...:(

Does anyone else share this experience? Is it normal? Will modifying my rudder help that (less tiller angle required)? My rudder is stock. Do i need to do something different? Do i just give up the last couple feet of cockpit seat?

Nov 29, 2017
MacGregor 26M Home
That’s the nature of a tiller. When it comes to the radius of the swing of the tiller, it is what it is. Can you construct a jointed tiller extension? You would still need to sit more forward in the cockpit, but the flexible extension would make it able for you to not have the tiller jam you in the stomach, all the while having complete control. Both you and the Admiral would be farther forward in the cockpit, but more comfortable.

Just an idea.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I would always forget that you can always lift the tiller. It will still work even when lifted. Honestly, just try raising the tiller instead of asking people to move.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I never sail with more than than two in the cockpit and we both sit forward so I can only sort of relate to your problem. If I have someone else sailing with me, they sit as far forward as possible.. no more problem. I usually have a tiller extension so am way out of the way of the tiller swing. But its still kind of tight with only two sailing the boat partly because of the cockpit size. I guess the option is a wheel for you but that has to create other space issues (always a compromise).

Its when I single hand that I really appreciate the tiller as I can be in a position to control both the jib and main and steer. I single hand a lot and like the 26S for single handling.

Is your problem mainly when you have more than two in the cockpit? Then I can completely understand..

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
it's pretty standard on all tiller controlled boats. The traditional procedure for tacking is to call just before a tack, "Ready about!" Pause for the crew to get ready for the change in tack, then yell, "Hard to lee!" Pronounced: "Hard-a-lee!" The reference here is to the direction the helmsman must move the tiller.
This allows everyone to understand what happens when a sailboat changes course and everyone shifts to the windward bench.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You should never turn your tiller more than 30 degrees off center when turning the boat. You don't need to push it 'hard a lee' when tacking.

As others also note, cutting some length off and using a tiller extension will also help.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I agree with that. Thanks for pointing that out, jackdaw. While my father always yelled that phase when I was a kid, we never pushed the tiller hard over.
- Will (Dragonfly l

Nov 29, 2017
MacGregor 26M Home
Off on a tangent here, but when I read “hard-a-lee”, I remembered when I first learned to sail (back in the sixties). When I first heard “hard-a-lee”, I thought the captain said “hardily”. How much gusto did this guy expect from me??

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
It can get cramped in the cockpit with 3 or 4 in the boat. I considered cutting mine shorter but decided not to. I like the length when single-handing and the leverage when the boat is heeled over and the weather helm is strong. Like Kermit, it's taken me a while to get in the habit of raising tiller and sitting a bit under it. I use the floor space under the tiller to store the beer cooler. Have to be efficient on the really important stuff.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
it's pretty standard on all tiller controlled boats. The traditional procedure for tacking is to call just before a tack, "Ready about!" Pause for the crew to get ready for the change in tack, then yell, "Hard to lee!" Pronounced: "Hard-a-lee!" The reference here is to the direction the helmsman must move the tiller.
This allows everyone to understand what happens when a sailboat changes course and everyone shifts to the windward bench.
- Will (Dragonfly)
I thought the command was "Helm's a lee"

If you're cramped in the cockpit... move forward, sit on the coaming, and use an extension.

Nov 29, 2017
MacGregor 26M Home
Helms-a-Lee does make more sense, but “hard-a-lee” is what I was told. It’s what I tend to say also. Old dog, new tricks, nah. My boat, my rules .

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
"Hard alee," with its homophonal double meaning "Heartily," is more fun than "Helm's alee," so that's what I say. I did take the first meaning too literally until I pitched my lounging girlfriend off the cockpit bench a few times while tacking. I credit her for teaching me the advantages of sailing with less heeling angle.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I did take the first meaning too literally until I pitched my lounging girlfriend off the cockpit bench a few times while tacking.
But did she look good doing it?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
We simply “Prepare to Come About”, windward crew prepares to release, leeward crew prepares to receive, helms-person states watch the boom and traveler, then “Coming About”...and they all do it Heartily! We get to tack a lot on the Finger lakes. No Helm’s-a-lee here. Rarely less than six on board at any given tour of Cayuga Lake.

5927A994-EDEB-4228-B688-A61DF5A91228.jpeg C8E3646A-E3C6-4A10-A3C1-BF23CA6D8C31.jpeg