Tiller “slop” thoughts

Dec 1, 2020
CAL 27 Illahee / Brownsville WA
When sailing my Cal there’s a bit of slop in the tiller which is mildly annoying. I’m wondering if this is normal or is there a fix that I should undertake?

Here’s a video clip

Thanks for your thoughts!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A couple of flat shims about 1/16" thick, one on each side . make them as long as the clevis. It has to be loose enough to lift the tiller . drill them so the bolt holds them in place.

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
I'd make some washers out of an old milk jug. Add as many as it takes between the tiller hardware and the rudder head to eliminate the slop.

Apr 19, 2015
Cal 2-29 Sandpoint
I've had success making shims out of a plastic kitchen cutting board. They come in a variety of thicknesses and tend to be durable. My Cal 29 had a squeak in the mast step I quieted this way.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Using a hole saw with a drill, you can make your own fender washers out of any material needed.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
First, figure out where the slop is. It could be in one or more places. Then address it as stated above.

Ken

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I think Ken makes a very good point. You want to be sure the slop is not coming from the rudder post itself.

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Not much to add here. Fill the gap via a graduated shim built up from cutting board material.

Tight is right.

Aug 2, 2014
MacGregor 26C Stuart FL
I've had success making shims out of a plastic kitchen cutting board. They come in a variety of thicknesses and tend to be durable. My Cal 29 had a squeak in the mast step I quieted this way.
I have used sheet plastic cutting board material for multiple purposes on multiple boats including tiller shims.
( Much to my wife's dismay)

• Ha
Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
When sailing my Cal there’s a bit of slop in the tiller which is mildly annoying. I’m wondering if this is normal or is there a fix that I should undertake?

Here’s a video clip

Thanks for your thoughts!
Looks to me the bracket attached to the handle is moving and the bolt is not. Make me think the holes are enlarged but could be the bolt has worn too. As previously mentioned could go up to a larger bolt. (would need to drill holes larger). If the holes in the bracket that attaches to the tiller are worn, drill them larger and add a bushing or weld them smaller and drill it the right size again, then and it should be good again.

Adding shims, spacers instead would probably work but would probably add more friction force to the pivot and change the force on the bracket.

Dec 1, 2020
CAL 27 Illahee / Brownsville WA
Video attached. Boat is going back to the slip this week for the winter, so access for maintenance items like this ship or bolt issue can be added to growing list of jobs after summer sailing.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Charlie and Thaniel have it. Watch the video and you can see the left side or starboard side of the bracket move over the bolt but everything else seems to be solid. Thaniel may be right about the bolt being worn. That would be an easier fix than if the hole is worn. A bigger bolt could do the trick, but if the hole through the post bracket isn't worn, you'll have to drill it out or do what Thaniel suggested and have the tiller bracket welded and redrilled. Maybe a new tiller bracket is available.

-Will

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Just for grins I think I'd try sliding a couple of old plastic business cards on each side of the post and see if that fixed the problem to start with.