Tiller Pilot recommendation for Monsun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2005
- - Vancouver, BC
Hi All, We have just converted from hydraulic wheel steering back to the tiller. Can any owners recommend a tiller pilot for the Monsun 31. Thanks, Chris Chris Gratham North Vancouver, BC Monsun 31, Patience

Oct 19, 2005
- - Vancouver, BC
Monsun Pilot

Thanks Phil, I am thinking about either the raymaine 2000 or, like you, the 4000. The 2000 is only recommended up to 10,000# so it seems a bit small. But I just talked to the only other Monsun owner in my area and he has used a 2000 for the past few years locally and has never felt it to be underpowered. So now I'm not sure what to do. I don't have the Practical Sailor issue but there is a preview on their website of a tiler pilot review. They preferred the Simrad TP30 (now 32) to the Autohelm 2000. Decisions, decisions. Cheers, Chris Patience, Monsun 31 Vancouver

K

Kim Thomsen

It´s just not good enough.

I have a Simrad TP20 tillerpilot. It work´s okay when motoring with a fixed course. You know, choose a heading and then set it on auto. It works also pretty good when it uses data from a navigator ex. furuno GPS. But when you choose to use data from ex simrad windvane system it reacts far from quick enough. You risk a unwanted tack because of a relative quick drop in windforce. Downwind is also a problem in some cases ex.deadrun by the fact you are sailing with the wind. Actually I think the best choise would be a mechanical windvane steering. One of those with a big air rudder mounted on the back of boat. Regards, Monsun owner Kim Thomsen Denmark

R

René Brun

Raymarine 2000 or 4000

hi all I used to have a Raymarine ST2000 on my last 24ft boat and now have an ST4000 on my Monsun. The 2000 has its compass inside the autopilot and the 4000 has it separate. The latter works far better in a chop. However You can't really use it off wind in coppy conditions under sail. You would need a Gyro to have the device steer a more or less straight course. Does anyone have a Gyro installed with a Raymarine ST4000? The really great feeling is when you have your boat steered by a wind vane. Thats just fantastic. And perfectly reliable in winds F2 or higher. I bought myself a used Aries. Its the best devices in boating for which I ever spent my money. And it looks cool, too. Developed by sailors for sailors you know. The "Monitor" or "Windpilot Pacific" would be an equal good joice I think. The Windpilot is the easiest to install and the easiest to be picked out of the water for harbor maneuvers. fair winds René

Oct 19, 2005
- - Vancouver, BC
Info regarding a Gyro

Hello Rene and Kim, Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards a ST4000 after these responses. I plan on mostly coastal sailing in protected waters where the winds are quite variable during the summer months. I've have a Navik windvane system on a previous boat and it is not really practical for the kind of sailing we usually get around here. We never get to sail more than 20 nm or so in one stretch and I've found that the vane wasn't well suited to short inter-island sailing around here. I know the mini-transat people use gyro's with their tiller pilots but I really don't know much about them. Can anyone suggest a link for more reading? Thanks, Chris

R

René Brun

gyro in minis

hi Chris maybe you want to follow the link to an autopilot page on the inofficial mini site from Leo Voorneveld I added. A very good site. that much about the theory of operation. I would still be interested to hear from someone with practical experiences on the subject. You say only 20 miles in a stretch. Hmm.. this is about the whole length of the lake I am sailing on. I use the Aries even for 30Min. legs. I am happy when I am not glued to the tiller you see. But I admit its a bit laborious and perhaps unpractical for sailng a straight course on route. Cruising the coast from Seattle up to Alaska is on my list of "where I want to cruise someday". I heard it is just fantastic. If the weather is kind to you, of course. fair winds René

R

René Brun

the missing link

funny, I pasted the link into the checkbox below the textbox. But I can't find it in the thread. So I put it here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~blvrd/html/autopilots.html René

Status
Not open for further replies.