Tiller Pilot: Raytheon ST2000 - Repair or replacement unit

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I am looking for repair shop for Raytheon ST2000. The unit lost thrust, I assume something is slipping inside. Any clues on who can service? Someone have a tiller autopilot for sale?

Thanks,
Mike

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Have you contacted your local Raymarine service center or marine electronics technician?

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
If it's old and out of warranty, and you're handy at reassembling stuff, you might consider opening it up and looking. There are two common modes of failure with the ST2000+. 1) Water ingress which results in a short or corrosion of the motor, and 2) broken belt inside which results in a loss of pushing or pulling but it turns on and the motor hums.

Replacing a broken or worn belt is within the ability of a good DIY-er. You can order the belts from Raymarine. While you're ordering, I suggest you order a spare set to keep on board.

I've gotten very good service and reasonable cost from Raymarine's service center in New Hampshire.

Raymarine Product Repair Center
9 Townsend West
Nashua
NH 03063
USA
+1 603 324 7900
americas.service@raymarine.com

• Helpful

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Thanks. Will try the DIY, I bought used years ago. it has power but is very weak, sometimes will push/pull other times not .
Belt set on order

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Raymarine Product Repair Center
9 Townsend West
Nashua
NH 03063
USA
+1 603 324 7900
americas.service@raymarine.com
Will keep this information handy. I looked for other forum discussions and found PolyTech Design. Order belts and they arrived just a few short days later. Everything inside looked in good condition, even the belts???? But replaced, wiped and re-greased the ball screw. Initial off-boat trials show promise. Actuation feels powerful. I assume Raytheon was before Raymarine; Judging by the internals and some of the information found on the forums this looks like a well built tiller pilot in that era.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
There are two common modes of failure with the ST2000+. 1) Water ingress which results in a short or corrosion of the motor, and 2) broken belt inside which results in a loss of pushing or pulling but it turns on and the motor hums.
There is a third mode of failure on Ray wheel pilots that have a lever to engage the pilot. Not sure if that is the case for a ST2000+ but I had this happen to my ST4000 wheel pilot. Don't know if the internals that engage the belt are the same for a tiller pilot or not though so the following mode of failure may not be applicable.

The lever operates a cam that tightens the belt to engage it. The lever operator shaft connects to the cam with a small shear pin. If that shear pin shears the lever will not turn the cam. For awhile mine engaged by the friction on the shaft but soon when the motor tried to turn the wheel more than a few degrees, the cam would slilp and disengage the wheel pilot. Later, it just would not feel firm and the lever just slipped in the cam and the belt would not tighten at all. Check to see if there is some sort of shear pin in the operating mechanism.

I was able to fix mine by fashioning a temporary replacement shear pin by cutting the head off of a very small finishing nail and using that as the shear pin. Not an ideal replacement since I didn't know the shear strength of the original pin but it worked.

Last edited: