Tiller or wheel for sailboat?

Dec 30, 2020
com pac eclipse sunset, louisiana
New guy here. What is best for an eclipse (21 ft). A tiller or wheel for steering?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Welcome new guy here. For a 21ft boat, you are best off with a tiller. Wheels are nice and my 27 has a wheel, but for smaller boats, tillers are best suited. The tiller saves cockpit space and you will get better turn control over a wheel. With a tiller you can swing it just about 180°, however a wheel is limited by the quadrant and cables.

I am sure other will be by shortly to either agree with me or tell me I really should give up sailing. LOL

Anyway, welcome to SBO.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A tiller definitely. I'm pretty certain there is not a wheel option for that boat due to lack of space. Excellent boat, you will be happy with the tiller.

Dec 30, 2020
com pac eclipse sunset, louisiana
Thanks as a retired person I do appreciate all your advice.
Hopefully around April or May is my maiden voyage.:)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Welcome new guy here. For a 21ft boat, you are best off with a tiller. Wheels are nice and my 27 has a wheel, but for smaller boats, tillers are best suited. The tiller saves cockpit space and you will get better turn control over a wheel. With a tiller you can swing it just about 180°, however a wheel is limited by the quadrant and cables.

I am sure other will be by shortly to either agree with me or tell me I really should give up sailing. LOL

Anyway, welcome to SBO.
:plus:

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Tiller. You would have to rig some type of seat across the open transom for a wheel. That might put you too far aft under the mainsheet traveler arch (that has to be the smallest boat setup like that) to operate the sheet and traveler. You would be adding weight to far aft also, with the wheel and someone sitting back there. A tiller has much more feel and can swing up giving more room in the cockpit when it's cocktail hour. :beer::beer: Welcome to SBO.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
For that size of boat a wheel would be like putting power steering on a sports car. I think it would clutter the cockpit a bit and increase the maintenance.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
The tiller is so much simpler and perfectly good for the purpose. Strongly recommend a good extension to give versatility in seating position. Also suggest a cover if you have a wood tiller.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Under 25 ft or racing tiller gives better feel, over 28 ft or cruiseing wheel gives more cockpit room and is worth added cost and maintenance.
Unless sailing a Pogo, Beneteau 30.1, First 27, First 24, First 25.5, First 260...... etc....

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I've never seen a 21 ft boat with a wheel. Anyone post a picture of one, for general interest. Oh... you want a tiller, for sure. If tiller steering confuses you, switching to power boating should be considered.... or get a 30ft plus sailboat.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Joe, it is possible that an older wooden boat of that length may have had one of those small wheels, and I mean small. This is from the WoodBoat web site, it might be a 22', not sure.

1609640760403.png

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You can do this b/c it’s not quadrant (cable) steering, but direct, probably worm-gear, drive.