Tiller Extension

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Would like to sit from time to time in the forward part of the cockpit while sailing.

Has anyone added a tiller extension to their tiller?

Jeff

Jun 10, 2013
macgregor 22 Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Get you a battle stick, I love mine...screws right on the tiller nice and neat and gives you some more room to move around the cockpit and control the tiller

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
I've thought about an extension as well. Then I just put on my auto tiller and pour a drink and read a book.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I have a battle stick, autopilot and tiller tamer. Of the 3 the tiller tamer is the least desirable because it can't be roped right but I love the other two! Battle sticks are not expensive at all.

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Doc, can you please explain what you mean by "can't be roped right"? Thanks.

Nov 19, 2011
As for me...

The tlller tamer should have the ropes leading off at 45 degrees. There really is no place to lead them back to on the 26s or d. Unless you had it way out toward the end of the tiller and then your ropes would still cross the laz. On the end of my tiller is the Battle Stick. Just no good anchor points.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
As for me...

The tlller tamer should have the ropes leading off at 45 degrees. There really is no place to lead them back to on the 26s or d. Unless you had it way out toward the end of the tiller and then your ropes would still cross the laz. On the end of my tiller is the Battle Stick. Just no good anchor points.
My tiller tamer (came with the boat) is ....

...... about mid-way on the tiller and ties off to cleats on the sides of the coamimg. I use it, but need to learn how to balance the sails better so that they are also helping to stay on course better. I also leave it just loose enough that I can bump it one way or the other as needed. More here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-11.html

I have bought a tiller-pilot and look forward to using it and feel that it will be much better than the tiller tamer. I always have the rudder up at night on anchor but it is still in the water and I use the tiller-tamer to lock it so that it isn't swinging around and will still use it for that,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Nov 19, 2011
That's about where mine is. Again, having the autopilot is a big improvement over a tiller tamer especially when letting go to raise sails. A tiller tamer won't adjust if you are off a little and the boat can go sideways quickly.

On the upside, it doesn't use battery

Nov 19, 2011
The tiller can become pretty well populated. Mine is set up with a block over the shaft, an auto release cleat, tiller tamer, tiller extension and a pin for the autopilot. It's not just a stick anymore :)