Tiller clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2005
Catalina coronado 15 NE
I've seen an item advertised called a tiller clutch . Has anyone any experience with something like this or this item ?

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I think a lot of folks have Tiller Tamers, probably a similar item. Uses a line from each side of the transom that goes through an adjustable clamp on your tiller. Set it, tighten the clamp and it stays in place. I've got one that came with the boat but I've never used it.

I do use the 2 jam cleats on the stern though, mostly to tie the tiller in place at the the dock. If I need to tie the tiller while sailing I just do quick clove hitch. Not as adjustable as the tiller tamer but it does the job if I need to do something real quick in light winds.

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
I've seen an item advertised called a tiller clutch . Has anyone any experience with something like this or this item ?
I have used many different varieties of "tiller tamers." I am now using a Tiller Clutch and it is the best so far IMHO. The nice thing about it is that it only requires one hand to operate. A flick of my little finger on the hand holding the tiller locks or unlocks it. Most others are not as easy or quick to operate. The type where you have to turn a knob to clamp the line takes two hands, one to hold the tiller and one to turn the knob.

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina C25 Eagle Mountain Lake
I bought one....love it! Works great, fits under my existing Sunbrella cover, and boy does it make a difference. Motoring I can let go of the tiller as long at 10-15 minutes at a time....under sail, not quite so long, but easily long enough to go below for a bathroom break, get a drink, even have a smoke up on deck. Very good upgrade, well worth the money.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
Thanks Joe. Ordered one today now that I know it will fit under my cover.

Mar 19, 2011
Saw that you're back.....Lowell signed a contract and is officially in his slip now. Another H1 refugee making the move permanent.

You'll like the TillerClutch. I sure do enjoy mine!

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
I have the tiller clutch installed and will try it out today. Plan to go out about 2:00.

Mar 19, 2011
I wish I could join ya....I have OnCall pager this weekend so I'm house-locked from Noon to 8:00 PM.....

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I installed one this weekend on my daughter's 1980 Cat-25. Simple installation, 30 minutes max including the two v-cleats. It fits easily under the tiller cover. It works wonderfullly, simply, and is absolutely a quality piece of gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.