Tiller Boat Cockpit Table

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Really would like a nice folding cockpit table for my 235 for when we are on the hook that we can "sit at". All you tiller boaters, what do you use? I have been Googling and there are a multitude of options but, want to know what you are using. Would want it to be wood as well, cause it looks better.

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I use an old fashioned folding TV tray type table. Store it below. You can modify it for boat use by adding a nonslip surface and adding a raised lip around the perimeter. Holes for cups, etc.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Do an internet search on "cockpit table for a tiller sailboat" and see images of cockpit tables on tiller boats, including markwbird's suggestion.

1596838925531.png
1596838975385.png

Jun 29, 2010
I use an old fashioned folding TV tray type table. Store it below. You can modify it for boat use by adding a nonslip surface and adding a raised lip around the perimeter. Holes for cups, etc.
I found something like this on Amazon and ordered it. Should be a good size but, actual use will tell of course. Thanks!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For our Ranger 29 we had a stock foldable Teak table. Wait we still have it. here’s a pic. Worked great but we could not put our legs under it.
9E84D865-3D65-48AB-BCF6-8F7D3BFB7C89.jpeg

Jun 29, 2010
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Sorry I cannot find a pic of my ex-1992 B235, hull 430... First off, I raised my B235 rudder up one "dimple". That gave more room in people's lap when sitting in the aft cockpit area. I could swing the tiller up and bungee it to the backstay. This allowed me to mount on the transom top, 2 handrail bases- kind of like the feet on a wheeled helm. trim them shorter to just allow a clevis pin to go through the base and tube. Uprights of various ss tube would position the table at a usable height. Same kind of base on the bottom of the table, though THEY need not be shortened if desired.At the front end of the table I put a table-to-floor leg for support. Rubber bumper on the bottom, the base on the bottom of the table.

IIRC, the table was a teak-looking piece of wood from a bed headboard, (OEM was particle board laminated). IN each corner of the table I cut a hole to hold a plastic cup holder.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I picked this teak table for the width of its legs... with a tiny shave they fit/wedge into the cockpit where it is very hard if not impossible to tip over. Four people can sit at it, kind on each corner. But we never have fancy eats in the cockpit, its more of a place to hold snacks and finger food. And wine glasses. About $120, but being all teak and stainless it should last forever.

teak table.jpg

Last edited: