Tightening Cap Shrouds

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The cap shrouds on our 2014 Oceanis 37 are very loose above the lower spreaders. The section below the spreaders seems adequately tight. Looking from the deck I don't see a separate turnbuckle above the spreaders for the upper portion. The lower section has a turnbuckle at the bottom, and goes up to the spreader. From that point on the spreader there is an intermediate shroud (with turnbuckle), and the upper cap shroud going to the upper spreader and mast head. When I tug on the lower part of the cap shroud, it does not seem to affect the upper part, so I don't think simply tightening the lower turnbuckle will tighten the upper part. Does anyone know how I can get the upper part of the cap shroud tighter?

P.S. Bonus points for solutions that don't require going up the mast. :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That would be your V2 and D3 sections.

Two interrelated issues. It sounds like your D2 (middle diagonal) shroud is way too tight. You should loosen it with the turnbuckle just above the spreader, and at the same time loosen and reset your spreader-end bolt on your lower spreader that holds the V shroud captive.

Sorry, no way to do this without a short ride up!

May 17, 2004
Thanks as always jackdaw. I suspected that may be the case but it's good to hear your confirmation.

May 17, 2004
For anyone else passing through this thread in the future, we finally did find the solution. Our yard went up and tried a few things. First was loosening the D2's, but they were near the end of their travel already, and once eased the mast had excessive bend. It turns out that the backstays we're overtightened. After loosening those they could take the D2's back in, and all tensions balanced properly.