Tier IV EPA Requirements

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL
I am planning to re-power this spring. In preperation for retirement and full-time cruising, still two years away, I would like to get rid of my trusty Perkins 4-154 because they no longer are making parts for it. Cumins makes a drop-in replacement to the 4-154. I could even re-use my Hurth transmission if I so desire. The engine is a 4B3.3 and develops 65 HP at 2600 RPM. The Perkins develops ~62 HP at 3000 RPM. The engine seems like an ideal replacement; however, I am concerned about EPA mandated devices causing problems for me down the road.

Sheri at TransAtlantic Diesel said that any new engine I buy would likely have the new Tier IV EPA devices manufactured into the engine. I would be interested in hearing what other skippers have learned about the new EPA mandates concerning marine diesel engines and how the mandates will affect engine performance and the other aspects of ownership.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
My understanding is the new emission requirements apply only to engines above 75HP but I may be wrong. Since there is no difference in the fuel sulfur requirements and considering these emission controls have been mandated for use in many EU countries for some time, we would have heard any horror stories if they existed.