Tide and current tables

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron Cooper

As a freash water sailor, Lake Ontario (Bentetau First 285), I have never had the need to understand tides and currents. This is a skill I would like to learn. My question is when at a subdirectory (Eg. Hilton Head SC) the tide and current information is that the state of the tide/current at that location or is it added or subtracted from the main directory, like the time is to get corrected information at that location? Thank you for your help Ron Cooper. Expresseau

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
a better way

Ron, the corrections will be preceeded by a plus or minus, add the plus--subtract the minus. Here in silicon valley/south san francisco bay, where we NEVER leave the slip without consulting the tide tables, the hot ticket is to use a palm pilot with tide tables already loaded. The following freeware program not only makes the corrections for you automatically, but also tells you the current tide in your location. Get it at http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/tidetool.htm

J

Jim Ewing

Yes

The tide information at a location (eg. Hilton Head SC) is referenced off a station (eg. Savannah River Ent. for Hilton Head). The times noted in the tables for the location are offsets from the station. +0:05 means a tide occurs 5 minutes after the tide at the reference station, a(-) indicates before. If you get the NOAA (I think) Tide Tables they work through several examples. The current offsets are local to the location. You have to first calculate your tide times and then apply the current offsets to get slack, flood and ebb currents. Again the NOAA Current Book has some good examples. Jim "Prospect"

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
another option

those who would prefer tide tables on regular computers rather than handhelds can get free tide tables, with graphs, at: http://www.allnautical.com/Free.shtml

B

Bob Rutland

Another great web page....

is, www.offshoreweather.com. You can type in your zip code and it will not only forcast the weather for your area, but the tides as well. Good Luck, Bob S/V Lady Di II

Status
Not open for further replies.