Thru Hull Repair Paint

Oct 31, 2016
Catalina 25 Watertown, MA
I have a question which I've been unable to resolve. How to you properly finish a thru hull repair? My sources indicate to just apply your bottom paint over the epoxy patch. However, this seems wrong to me. After flaring and sanding the patch, there is a ring of raw fiberglass visible, between the barrier coat and the epoxy. I feel I need to apply a 2 part epoxy primer, then bottom paint. Granted, the epoxy needs no protection, and the fiberglass ring visible is only 1/2" wide, is it that simple just to layer on bottom paint and declare it finished? I'm using Interlux Micron 66 and the boat is in salt water.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Your patch is not completely and properly done until that cloth is buried under epoxy. Same as drywall in a house.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Bill; You are overthinking this. Seat your thru-hull and paint it and the surrounding area with the 4-5 coats of epoxy barrier coat. Suggest the "no-sand-method" described by Interlux and hot coating your bottom paint on the last coat. Bottom paint should not be applied to bare underwater metal, or bare FG laminate, only epoxy barrier coat.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Maybe expose a little more of the existing barrier coat, so you don't put new barrier coat over bottom paint?