Thru Hull leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmck3

Jun 3, 2010
Oday 30 Conneaut, OH
I just found that I had a very small leak coming from the galley sink thru hull. I am pulling the boat this weekend and I will be attempting to repair the problem. The wood block on the inside of the hull is soft and wet so I'm assuming it has been seeping water for some time, Does anyone know if the hull on the 1982 oday 30 is solid glass or am I possibly looking at some core damamge around the thru hull.I am planning on replacing the wood blok with hardy board or something other than plywood, I may be able to use the new composite decking if I plane it down.

Any info or suggesting will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 22, 2008
Stevens Cutter 47 Atlantic Coast
I have a 1988 35' and the hull is solid glass - no core. I wouldn't imagine an older boat would have a higher tech construction. Hopefully its a pretty straight ahead job. Good Luck.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Plastic spacer/backplate

Go to WarMart,Target or a housewares store and buy a plastic cutting board for less than ten bucks and with a couple of different size hole saws you'll be able to make a nice spacer/backplate and get the job done......and what ever you do do not use 5200 :naughty: buy some Boat Life sealant

rjmck3

Jun 3, 2010
Oday 30 Conneaut, OH
Thanks for the information

Thanks for the responses, it is very much appreciated. I pulled the boat on Saturday and replaced the thru hull on Sunday. I took everything apart cleaned it very well, made a new spacer and put it all back together. Hopefully I can get the boat back in teh water next weekend. I read your responses too late, I used 5200, it's what the marine store recomended.
Go to WarMart,Target or a housewares store and buy a plastic cutting board for less than ten bucks and with a couple of different size hole saws you'll be able to make a nice spacer/backplate and get the job done......and what ever you do do not use 5200 :naughty: buy some Boat Life sealant

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC

I'm interested in the 5200 question also. Why not?
5200 will work but it is permanent. If you have to fix in future it is major surgery. Whereas, 4000 can be repaired a second time. There are other good under waterline repair sealants. Check archives for full discussion of several years ago and Maine Sail, our moderator, has information hidden somewhere.

The long an short of it, those of us who have tried to repair where 5200 was used hate the stuff. The Marine supply store was wrong.

Also, is that it is so good that it can cause cracking in adjacent fiberglass when there is flexing in hull. And hulls flex from water pressure.

The archives to check are the 'ask an oday owners' forum.

Ed K

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
I'm an old fan of 5200 till I had to replace a failed transducer......and then I learned my lesson and there are other things sealed with the stuff that I hope won't haunt me in the future and as the saying goes "you need a note from your mother to use 5200"

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
About all they have

I went is a West store not too long ago to get some sealant and was amazed that almost all they had available was 5200. I was getting a large tube of it, the kind you use with a caulking gun but almost all they had on display was 5200. The stores must have a very high margin on this stuff if it is all they carry in large supply, or a lot of people believe it is the right stuff. I completely trust MaineSails judgement and experience on this and my own personal experience is 4000 is fine and I prefer polysulfides to polyurethanes for sealing applications anyway from industrial experience.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
I wonder what the markup is on 5200....I know they don't sell the debonding agent that does soften up the stuff but I used it and still could not remove my transducer......ended up using a hole saw and destroyed the transducer that Garmin would have honored for return.......and then just this winter my buddy had the exact same problem with his transducer that was installed the same day as mine with the same tube of 5200 so we didn't even think about it, just got the hole saw and went to work

Status
Not open for further replies.