Thru-hull...fix it or leave it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2004
Catalina 30 Mk1 Horseshoe Bay, BC
I have a fairly recently adopted 1981 Catalina 30, and I am going to haul it out next month. The previous owner(s) had let the seacocks get into an awful rusty state. I am sure that I am going to replace those. They are the result of putting on the cheap hardware store ones. One says "for gas lines" on the side of it! But here's my dilemma. I have the original threaded pipe fiberglassed in for the thru-hulls. I have read that they should be replaced, ground down and re-fiberglassed with proper fittings. Is this a big job? How long would it take to do all five? How much should it cost to have someone do it for me? It looks like a very daunting task to me, and my first instinct is to forget about it and hope that they won't ever start to leak. If I don't fix them and one does leak, then is there a way to resolve the leak while the boat is in the water, or would I have to pull it out and go through the whole process of replacing it? Thanks in advance! -Rob

J

John

Go for it

All It takes is time and Ive seen boats sink every year at my dock becouse the owner closes there throw hulls and did not check for leaks and leave the boat for the week and a one inch hole lets in more water then most pumps pump out . I saved two boats .The first boat had the tube come out of the glass and the other had adripless shaft seal come apart The marina clears out fast on sunday night I stay aboard sunday night and leave for work in the morning monday . John

Feb 20, 2005
- - Lake Lanier, GA
Absolutely fix it

Rob, I don't know of any way to fix this problem once the boat is in the water. You will never have a cheaper opportunity that when you haul next month. I completely agree with John. This is an accident waiting to happen. Ken

Jun 16, 2004
a million more questions...

I would like to know how to actually do the job. Is it difficult? Is there any tips you guys can give me? I have a dremel tool with cutoff wheels - should that work or do I need a grinder? How long should it take to do all five? When I put in new thru-hulls, should I go with the same sizes, or are there any that are too small as is? Thanks to all. PS - went for a sail today. Beautiful sunshine, gentle breeze. God's country truly is the west coast!

Jun 7, 2004
- - Deale, MD
Thru Hulls

Once again, here's the piece I wrote in 2001 on replacing the old volcanoes. It's in the Archives for 2001. Thru Hulls Submitted by Garry @ S/V TASHTEGO on 07/13/2001 at 11:39AM regarding Catalina 27

J

John

thru hulls

Ive never done the job my self but Ive helped other guys with it.Most of the time the pipe comes out with a twist from a vice gripe and a light grind on the outside around the insideof the pipeflange. some times there are screws from the outside going into the sea cock but it dose not sound like you have that.The thru hull should fit tight in the hole and we have been adding glass to the inside of the hull and redrilling it. We use a bronze flush head thru hull3/4"withlock nut We have been useing 6"round plywood or star board mounting blocks to stiffen up the hull around the thru hull so you have some place to mount a flanged sea cock.we used forespar marelonflanged seacocks from WM.I think they where about 65dollers for each valve but you can get the same stuff from defender forless .most guys just pach over valves they dont use .we did 10 valves on two boats about 75YDS apart on a saterday in may and it took about 7 hours with three workmen but we had all the tools and parts ready to go. WM is a two hr round trip from the boat.I used a roto zip grinder for the inside work and a die grinder for the outside a dremil is to small it would take a long time to grind off the head of the thru hull maybe you could chisel off the old pipes? some times they are plastic good luck John

Jun 16, 2004
Thanks guys!

Thanks. That gives me a better idea. I will attempt this project myself. I just bought Don Casey's book "Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair" which has drawings and explanations on how to do the fiberglassing when replacing the thru-hulls. I am actually looking forward to the challenge of fixing them. Thanks again John, Ken and Garry!

P

Pigslo

a note

Make note that having a friend help you push the bolts thru from below will keep ypu from going nuts as you go back and forth to when the bolts fall out before they are started on the inside.

Spen

Oct 22, 2004
Catalina 30 Great Salt Lake
It's easy, lets git-er-done

First cut the old one off flush on the inside of the boat. Next get a hacksaw blade and cut through it on one side, use a chisel and bend it inward at the cut. Than pull it out with some pliers. Put the new through holes in using 5200 and wood backing (for expansion / contraction) and your done. I spent five hrs to do my 77’ 30. Good luck, Spen…

Jun 16, 2004
Sounds easy!

Or...sounds easier than I thought! Just to make sure - the hull isn't cored, is it? I was afraid I would have to do some fiberglass work if it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.