Thru hull fittings Cat 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DJK

Upon recent haul out and purchase of my Cat 30 I noticed that the thru hull fittings did not have any flanges on the underside of the hull. The raw water pick up had a nylon type flange but the others did not. Are these type of thru hulls more suceptable to leakage? Is this a production type thru hull or are these some type of jury rig?

M

Michael McCann

Thru-hulls

DJK; Generally, thru hulls come in two styles, flush, and not flush fitting mushroom shapes. They are made of two different materials, either nylon, or bronze. If the thru hulls are nylon, then the 'sea cocks' will be made of Marlon. The usual 'sea cock' is just a ball valve, An actual sea cock is secured to the hull. On some early C25's I have seen a pipe glassed in the hull as a thru hull. I do not know if this practice was used on the C30, but if the vintage is around 1980 or earlier I would check it out. You can install thru hulls if, indeed you do not actually have them. Michael McCann jadedcrew@bainbridge.net

K

Ken Cave

Check your boat-an accident waiting to happen!!

I have a Catalina 25-a 1977 model, and, their have lots of discussions concerning how Frank Butler saved money by drilling a hole in the hull, screwing in brass pipe into the hole, and smearing lots of fiberglass putty around the pipe to hold it in place on the Catalina 25 site. If you do not have a bulge on the outside of your hull where the thru hull is, you got the same problem!! Easy to fix however: I had my boat out of the water (this is a must!!) tooks the drawers out, then used a Mikita grinder ($49.00-and worth every penny) to grind through the existing pipe and making the area flat to accept a thru hull fitting (I used brass-cost $12.95 from West Marine) After you have ground through the pipe, use a pair of needle nose pliers to thread out what is left in the hole. Insert your new brass thru hull fitting using 5200 to make sure it doesn't leak (heaven forbid!!) tighten up the nut, add a decent valve, and you are in business. Ken Cave Dragon Tail #789

Status
Not open for further replies.