Thrown Out of Town!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
It finally happened. After over 5500 miles, I made a town too hot for me.

In a seaside community, which shall remain nameless so my transgressions do not taint it, I came across a brand new set of floats outside the breakwater bulkhead for the town docks. There were no signs or notices but they clearly appeared to be installed for transient use and the self service pumpout yet to be relocated to them.

I tied up and remained on the boat and in the area to see if the harbormaster would show up so I could inquire if it was OK to stay there for a quick provisioning run. No boats showed the slightest interest in the dock, the locals all have slips inside the breakwater, no one knows the floats are there yet, the weather had been lousy, and it’s early in the season.

Rich Stidger showed up and took me on my quick and much appreciated food run. I had invited them for dinner aboard to serve them my Chicken Feta Accompli, famous up and down the eastern seaboard. Since no one was using the floats or seemed to have any interest in them, we decided it would be easiest for them to just join me there.

As I was standing on the float waiting to take their lines, the assistant harbormaster showed up. He asked how long I was planning to stay and I told him I was leaving right after dinner with the boat on its way in and that they would then be returning to their mooring. I asked what the eventual rules for the dock would be. He said that wasn’t settled yet but they probably would be free for short stays and $40 overnight. He said he wouldn’t charge us anything since there wasn’t a fee schedule yet.

I told him that I was the retired harbormaster of Cape Elizabeth and we talked some harbormaster shop talk. He said, “Oh, there’s my boss.” We shook hands and he got aboard the harbormaster patrol boat that swung in to pick him up.

The boat went by, I waved at the Harbormaster. He just glared back. I’m a pretty good judge of character, I mean; I can tell if someone is prejudiced just by looking at them. I thought, Uh, oh.

Sure enough, during dinner, I looked out and the assistant was again standing on the dock. He was like a completely different person. “I thought you said you were leaving a few minutes after we talked.”

“No, I said after dinner.”

“Well, that’s not what I heard. We charge for the use of these docks you know.”

I assured him we would be leaving as soon as we finished. I noticed that he kept looking nervously down towards the other end of the float.

We talked about it over desert and concluded that the assistant had been reasonable, had probably gotten reamed out by his boss for being nice, and been forced to put on that little drama with his boss watching. It also seemed probable that he had been told not to go home until he saw us leave so we decided to cut a very pleasant evening a bit short. Rich and Carole returned to their mooring and I ran down to anchor outside the harbor.

Rich left me two bottles of his homemade wine which I’m looking forward to drinking on an appropriate occasion. They asked as they left where I was going today. I said that I didn’t know but I certainly knew one place I wouldn’t be.

This morning, I ran up Mount Hope Bay to Fall River where I unexpectedly found the Schooner Westward forlorn, stripped, and battered at a dock where she has evidently been for the last year.

My involvement with this ship altered the entire course of my life and probably determined the course of everything that has happened in the last 35 years more than any single thing or person. It’s very sad to see her looking so old. Time is relentless.

Last edited:

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
All it took for you to be treated that way was to come back North.

Welcome Home:)

UPSGUY

Jan 9, 2011
Catalina 22 Bayville NY
Tis the captain that sets the course of destiny. The vessel only carries you there.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
My wife Carol & I had a wonderful dinner and visit with Roger last night. We would both highly recommend his restaurant.

The minor run-in with the local floating Barney Fife was not terribly dramatic. No flashing blue lights and no boarding with guns drawn. I suspect that they were a bit surprised to see anyone at their new town floats and were unhappy with themselves for dragging their feet on establishing a fee structure and posting signs. Oh well.....

Actually today I called the harbormaster and spoke to the assistant- he was very pleasant so I suspect he was the assistant based upon Roger's encounter last night. I had called to inquire about the status of the pump-out facility and was pleased to be told that merely 10 minutes before I called the town plumber had just installed a long hose that will reach to a docked boat. So our town pump-out is up and running. He told me that the new float will be for transients and a reserved area for pump-out only. I did not fess up to being one of the two vessels that were persona-non-grata, but hey, I have to live here!

Roger, be careful to whom you serve that wine as your guests may question the wine-making skills of the donor. And be sure to read the label for a history of the Random Bottle Winery and the obligatory government warning.

Thanks for dinner and it was great to met you and put a face to your many postings. We will call you when we are in the Portland area this summer.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
Kicked Out

Hey Roger, you should have used your enormous clout in the marine world to turn the tide of that poor assistant. Why just the mere mention of your name should strick fear into the mortal harbourmasters mind. Should have went something like: "sir, do you know who I am? Captain Long, naval engineer, designer, and WRITER/Blogger! Why, I have world wide readership amounting to thousands of people- what did you say your name was? jotting it down on a notepad." That would probably have gotten you alot of respect and maybe more like invites to the office, drinks and diner, a night out on the town-all gratis of course. Next time you should dam your modesty and exercise your status! Enjoy your wine, some homebrew is quite delicious and could be of highr than normal alcohol content!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
MAN ! Building up some notoriety as ya head back north ! Interesting to consider how differently these donkeys responded compared to the guys where the engine/oil crisis happened ! I guess these guys get tired of dealing with some folks, but to treat everyone as a deadbeat is unacceptable ..especially when no one is looking to park in the spot you are in.. Some folks have to show people how much power they have in their kingdoms..
RICH ! looks like a fine label !

Nov 23, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Big Ridge Marina, Hixson, Tn
name the town... perhaps a few emails to the right authorities might 'soften' the bureaucrats.

Apr 13, 2009
Irwin 33 St Pete, FL
It is sad to Westward looking so forlorn. Last time I saw her she was on the hard at Promet in Providence. I did not know you had been involved with her. I was always interested in sailing her.

Status
Not open for further replies.