Through the Wormhole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I cut my Solomons visit short due to weather report and local advice about getting past the Potomac with the wind predicted for tomorrow. My one day there was great. The crew of the Rachel Carson took me out to lunch and I got to see her with the maturity of having been in service for a few years. For a naval architect, seeing a boat this way and having everyone tell you how well it performs is right up there with the children and grandchildren business. I did laundry in their shore facility and the captain helped me take Strider over to the fuel dock to bring her fuel load up to the full 38 gallons and I was ready for an early departure.

I woke again to thick fog. Solomons, and everything else, disappeared about 200 yards past the channel entrance. Pretty routine for Maine and Canada cruising but I’ve sort of gotten into the Chesapeake Bay mindset so I was seeing it through the eyes of local sailors.

There was a fair amount of fishing traffic going out with me as well as crab pot buoys so it reminded me of that wonderful mental state I remember from my flying days, attentive without being tense, alert without being concerned. I was keeping up the same kind of cyclical scan, radar targets, water dead head , depth, course, side and rear, radar, water…. There’s no room for idle or random thoughts.

I left the traffic behind turning south down the bay and it became less like flying and more like boating. I remained seemingly motionless in the center of the bottom of a well with grey sides . The well slowly shrank and enlarged but that is all I saw for hours. It swelled out enough in the mouth of the Potomac for a couple fishing boats to appear (must be all the hot air drifting downstream from DC) but quickly shrank to the point that I didn’t see the buoy off Smith Point even though radar and GPS confirmed it to be less than .2 nm away.

Just two miles from the entrance to the Grand Wicomico River, the fog suddenly lifted and I could see the shore. It was visually like having been transported, albeit slowly, from one place to another many miles distant, through a wormhole. If not for the GPS, instruments, and wake, it would have looked like not moving at all until there was suddenly a new place beyond my bow.

I went up the river along with four huge Menhaden boats returning ahead of tomorrow’s un-fishable weather to the gigantic base and processing plant. I used to work for the company that did all the naval architecture for this fleet, modifications, stability, measured tonnage changes, etc. We all hated “Pogy boats” because there were few plans and every job required a huge amount of detective work. But is was part of my early career so I remember it fondly.

I now looked at it grimly however. Menhaden are filter feeders which Chesapeake Bay desperately needs to help restore it. Virginia allows this giant fleet to scoop up most of them before they can make it up the bay because of the jobs it creates. Looking at well over a dozen huge craft, and knowing from years ago the size of the nets they deploy, I knew that I was looking at an appreciable proportion of the biomass extraction capacity of the entire New England ground fishing fleet. These fish have a better use than as pet and livestock food.

It was not without humor however. The boat in front of me dropped off its two purse seine boats which then headed off, tied together with the net strung between their power blocks, for a dock. The mother ship started blowing it’s horn. I thought perhaps I was in the way of turning towards their dock but I could see that no one was looking at me. More and more people gathered on the bridge wing and bow waving hard hats and lifejackets but looking at the departing net boats. They clearly couldn’t go any further up the channel.

I put the throttle forward and ran up to the dock where the net boat crews were rapidly putting the boats to bed. You could tell it was Miller time and they were focused hard on leaving. I yelled from a few yards away that their boat wanted them. There was clearly a language issue. I was getting blank looks. Finally I waved my arms like the big boat was doing and then pointed towards the mother ship. Light finally dawned. There was some waving yelling on the purse boats and a radio came on.

I heard, “The other dock you idiots. NEXT TIME DON’T TURN THE RADIO OFF!”

The purse boats backed out of the slip and headed towards the main facility and I continued up to Reedville. This is an interesting little town. There is enough wind predicted for tomorrow that I may stay and see some of it. However, it will be a beam reach in the lee of the land. Equally strong winds on the nose are on tap for the next day. First prize: A day in Reedville. Second prize: Two days in Reedville. I’m not going to make a decision until I see the updated weather forecast and look out the companionway in the morning.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
All those days on the water going to Florida and we had just one morning with fog. And not far from where you are reporting. I think we went from the Solomons to Deltaville. Hope that "furnace" is putting out Roger. It snowed here today.

Attachments

Nov 10, 2011
corbin 39 cruising
Hi Roger.
Miss your company. Nerdowell is now in Great Bridge Virginia. Not so cold, in the day anyway. LOVE that fog, feels like home.
Heather & Ray

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Nerdowell is now in Great Bridge Virginia.
You must have enjoyed the Chesapeake to only be that far. I hope you're glad I talked you into it. I've had some of the best cruising days of my life here.

I'm in Reedville, VA. There are strong west winds predicted shifting to the south tomorrow so I was torn last night between seeing this interesting town and pushing on. I've just decided to slow down for three reasons:

1) I saw mosquitoes yesterday.

2) A correspondent told me it was colder in Georgia than in Massachusetts yesterday so I'm not really racing the cold.

3) They are having an oyster roast at the museum here tomorrow.

At the rate you are going, I could probably catch up with you. That would be nice but I'll probably have to think about coming to Panama someday.

I never did hear from your friend.

Later: Oh no! The oyster roast is sold out. (What did we ever do without the Internet?) The south winds are going to persist for several days. Maybe I will move on and come back here in the spring. Almost anywhere you stop in this part of the world is magical.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Roger - Don't despair - we'll plan a crab/oyster feed when you come back through in the Spring :)

I see the closest weather buoy to you is reporting 25 gusting to 35 from the West ... good choice to stay put.

Status
Not open for further replies.