through hull valve

Jan 28, 2001
Not sure what you are asking about. The original thru-hull valves were gate valves and I imagine most have been replaced with ball valves.From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com on behalf of ground hog groundhogyh@... [AlbinVega] AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 12:01 PM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [AlbinVega] through hull valve

This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com)

Add cleanup rule |
More info

Anybody have info on the original part? Valve type, part number?

Sent from my iPhone

May 30, 2006
my toilet valve is behaving oddly. I tried to record the part number off of it and look up the specs, but had no success.Sent from my iPhone

Sep 24, 2008
Just replace it with a new one of the same size. There is nothing unique to a brand of boat when it comes to through hulls and valves.

May 30, 2006
lol. I was afraid you would ask. I think its posessed.so.. you want to close it. screw CW. The stem starts getting longer. It doesnt close. so.. you screw CCW. The stem goes in and eventually stops. Toilet water is now cut off. Head now explodes..I go to hardware store to examine valves.Gate valve stems dont get longer or shorter. Gate just goes up and down.Stop (Globe) valves (rubber washer) stems do go in and out. So my valve is behaving like a reverse thread globe valve.Sent from my iPhone

Jan 28, 2001
If it's original it's a gate valve. They fail. A gate valve is like the typical outdoor faucet with the handle that you rotate to open or close. Some faucets have quarter turn handles. Those have ball valves. Ball valves also can fail if they aren't used
or just left open or closed. Salt encrustation can clog the valve and will act like concrete inside of it. As Brian said, replace it. I did mine many years ago by careening the boat on a very low tide. WaltFrom: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Brian Stannard brianstannard@... [AlbinVega] AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] through hull valve

Add cleanup rule |
More info

Just replace it with a new one of the same size. There is nothing unique to a brand of boat when it comes to through hulls and valves.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 8:57 AM, ground hog
groundhogyh@... [AlbinVega] AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Sep 24, 2008
So it is a gate valve, probable original. They have no place below the waterline on a boat, or anywhere on a boat for that matter. Replace it with a ball valve like a Groco.

Jan 28, 2001
As I said. I changed the thru-hull by careening on a low tide. Got the old one out and went to put the new one in and fond out I had the wrong size! Now the tides is starting to come back and I'm rushing to the chandlery to get the right size and got the
new thru-hull in with maybe a 1/2 inch to go before water would be coming into the boat. Groundhog, read up on this. Talk to people who have changed theirs. Get everything you need together and I would recommend that you change both the thru-hull and the valve. You will also need a tailpiece for the valve. This will screw into the valve and
you will attach your hose to this with TWO hose clamps.

Buy the hose clamps at the chandlery not the hardware store. You want marine grade for all of these parts. Lastly, buy both the 1 1/4" and the 1 1/2" sizes because you might have either size. You can always return the size you don't use. Don't forget bedding
compound and I like to use a wooden backing plate between the inside of the hull and the nut you are going to screw down on the thru-hull. If you can wait until your next haul out it will be easier. You will need anther person to do this. The thru-hull is
going to have a couple of little projections on the inside of it. There is a tool that will fit inside the thru-hull and it will engage these projections so that the thru-hull will not turn when you are tightening the inside nut. You can probably get by using
a slip joint pliers instead of the special tool. One person on the outside with the tool and another on the inside tightening
the nut. This is going to be a very big nut and you probably don't have the right size wrench. I use water pump pliers. Good luck and if you have any questions please ask. It sounds harder than it is. Walt
From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Jon Phillips jonphillipsmsw@... [AlbinVega] AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] through hull valve

Add cleanup rule |
More info

If you decide it's time to replace, go with a high-quality bronze ball valve (e.g. Groco or Apollo) from a reputable marine store (NOT a hardware store). Someone double check me but I'm nearly positive that 1 1/4" is the standard size toilet and sink
outlets. 3/4" for toilet and engine intake. 1/2" for sink raw water intake. The valves are widely available but, again, do not skimp on quality here. It has been my experience that when you replace the valve, it is nearly impossible not to break the bond between the thru hull and fiberglass. If the thru hulls are in good shape you can rebed with 3m 5200. You may opt to replace the thru hull too upon
inspection, but they are inexpensive compared to the valves. Cheers!On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 11:57 AM, ground hog
groundhogyh@... [AlbinVega] AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Feb 13, 2010
They used to make Marine grade Gate val lives and they were very
good, Whether there is a ball or a tapered cylinder makes little
difference but what is different is in the last 50 years gate
valves have been industrial valves so have not had the corrosion
resistance of marine types. I think the rest of the world
continued for a long time to make marine grade valves. Marine
grade Gate valves were generally used in work boats which were
generally wood or steel so 40 or 50 years was about the life of
the valves and the boat. So if i had an old boat and I domine is
43 years old and in the spring I plane to replace the balves on
general pricipal if I could get goon gate valves for the
difference in price I would replace them with the same and expect
another 40 years. I will put in Ball valves.
Doug

On 09/30/2017 07:06 PM, rhamm70839
rhamm70839@... [AlbinVega] wrote: