Throttle problem, H280

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
I have an H280 and a Yanmar 2GM20F with a throttle problem. The throttle won't hold its position between 2000 and 3000 RPMs. It will remain where I put it up to 2000 RPMs and above 3000 RPM, but not in between. If I push it above 2000, it will "spring back" to 2000 RPMs unless I hold it in place.

Is there an adjustment for cable tension or the throttle itself--and, if so where would I find it?

Thanks, Matt

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
I have an H280 and a Yanmar 2GM20F with a throttle problem. The throttle won't hold its position between 2000 and 3000 RPMs. It will remain where I put it up to 2000 RPMs and above 3000 RPM, but not in between. If I push it above 2000, it will "spring back" to 2000 RPMs unless I hold it in place.

Is there an adjustment for cable tension or the throttle itself--and, if so where would I find it?

Thanks, Matt
I have the same boat and engine as you and have the same issue. I've gotten used to this quirk and find I rarely miss that range. Mine does hold at 2750 so that helps. I think it is a tension issue. Check the clamps at both ends of the throttle cable.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thhrottle Cable Friction.

If you have an Edson Binnacle, under the compass, there may be a nylon friction screw that can be adjusted.. I don't know about single lever controls.. There is a cable clamp thingie that is made to add friction to the cable.. You may have one installed close to the speed control lever on the engine cable.. Picture shows the one on my cable. It is the little bracket just aft of the engine bracket. Follow the cable aft from the bronze cube to the engine bracket .. aft of that is an "L" bracket with a bolt that can be adjusted to squeeze the housing and add friction to the throttle cable.

EDIT: Like This: http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...familyName=Teleflex+Morse+Control+Cable+Brake

This site store may have them too, but I couldn't find them there.

Attachments

Last edited:
May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
Clark--do you also have the Morse Marine MV-2 throttle? I have the 1988 installation manual for the MV-2 and can find no reference to a cable tension adjustment, but it does say that "4 degrees" of flex in the cable and "proper length" of the cable (undefined) is necessary for smooth operation. Not sure exactly how one would determine 4 degree of flex?? My problem began when I had a mechanic install new cables and I'm wondering if he knew what he was doing (he didn't consult the manual!).

My throttle unfortunately won't stay at 2700-2800, only at 3000--is it OK to continuously run this engine at 3000 RPM?