Throttle Position while Sailing

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
In December, we chartered a 44' Fountaine-Pajot Helia and sailed from Ft. Lauderdale to Key Largo and back. I noted with interest the decal on the throttle housing indicating that the throttle should be placed in the reverse position while sailing with the engines off. I assume that this was to prevent the prop shafts from turning, thereby reducing wear on the cutlass bearing, shaft seal and gearbox components.

I have looked through the owner's manual for our Hunter 41DS and I haven't seen any recommendation like this. I would be interested in knowing what other boat owners do with the throttle while sailing with the engine off.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I don't know about Hunters, but my Catalina specifies putting the gear in reverse while sailing. Apparently, some transmissions don't lubricate the innards properly when the shaft is free wheeling. Lots of threads on this topic already.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The recommendation for Hunter is to place it Neutral allowing the transmission to free wheel. The design of the transmission allows for constant lubrication of the gears and bearings. This reduces drag on the propeller and the need to practically having to stop the boat before disengaging from reverse. Follow your engine manufacturer recommendations.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
throttle housing indicating that the throttle should be placed in the reverse position
Reading this carefully, I assume that the gear system on the boat uses a centrifugal clutch system. Otherwise the throttle would not have a reverse position.

I can see a Gear Shift having a reverse and a forward position.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Search the archives for more details, but the general answer is that it depends on your transmission manufacturer. Generally speaking:

- Hurth transmissions on Universal engines are fine in neutral or reverse. Neutral provides less drag but reverse provides slightly less wear and tear. Definitely don’t leave these in forward as it will slip and wear out the clutch.

- Kanzaki transmissions on Yanmar engines recommend neutral only. The continuous torque of dragging the prop in reverse without the engine running could lock the transmission in such a way that you can’t shift back into neutral. If you forget and the transmission does lock into gear you should start the engine in gear and then shift to neutral rather than forcing the gear shifter and risking damage to the shifting mechanism. If you have a folding or feathering prop you can shift into reverse after shutdown briefly to fold/feather.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Hunter sailboats with Yanmar engines should put the the transmission shifter must be in the "neutral" position or internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result per Yanmar advisory attached.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Search the archives for more details
The phrase to use is "transmission position" to find earlier repeated threads.
As noted, your right foot is for the throttle and your RIGHT hand is for the transmission in your car; two different things.

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
the decal on the throttle housing indicating that the throttle should be placed in the reverse position
I think this statement has created some confusion in the thread. Most sailboats have separate throttle and gear levers. I'm assuming the boat you were on had a single lever that operated much like the throttle on an outboard.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I think this statement has created some conclusion in the thread. Most sailboats have separate throttle and gear levers. I'm assuming the boat you were on had a single lever that operated much like the throttle on an outboard.
Confused by this statement (assuming you meant "confusion" when you wrote "conclusion"). My 4hp Mercury outboard has a gearshift lever on the side of the cowling (FWD/NEUTRAL/REV), and a separate twist throttle on the tiller. That has been typical on outboards I've owned. My H36 has one lever which is both the gear shift AND the throttle (push the lever forward and it clicks into forward, push the same lever further and the Yanmar revs faster and faster). Not saying that every sailboat operates like that, but the few I've owned have been "single lever", as are the "typical" charter catamarans and other sailboats I've crewed. I'm sure there are some that have "separate throttle and gear levers", but in my experience that's not "most sailboats". Curious now how Catalina does it on your 310 (the last one I owned was a 1974 C27 with an outboard, so I have no useful reference with Catalinas).

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
The answer to your question depends on the drivetrain being used, who manufactured it and what type of prop you are using. A Volvo Penta (MD series 2020, 2030, 2040) setup with a sail drive recommends the following. Note that there are different recommendation for a fixed or folding prop.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 3.28.10 PM.png

)

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thre OP has a forty one foot boat! Most likely with a binnacle. Most likely not controls for an outboard engine.
Let confusion reign. :yikes::yikes::yikes:
Wow. In trying to avoid confusion, I have created more!:huh: The single lever control I referred to (outboard) is the console mounted throttle/shifter, like on my 15' center console. Apparently, this type of throttle/shifter is more common on sailboats than I realized. The 65' workboat I crewed on had the single lever control, and I was not a fan. Too often, I would put the lever in neutral, but it would still be in forward or reverse. I got into the habit of jiggling it in neutral, and waiting to see what the boat would do. I have gotten used to the separate controls on my Catalina, and prefer them now. Sorry about the confusion.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
The answer to your question depends on the drivetrain being used, who manufactured it and what type of prop you are using. A Volvo Penta (MD series 2020, 2030, 2040) setup with a sail drive recommends the following. Note that there are different recommendation for a fixed or folding prop.
To add to this a ZF Marine (Hurth) SD-10 gives the following caution:

"CAUTION. When the boat sails with engine switched off the shift position of the gearbox can be:
1) in neutral position and in this case the propeller is free to rotate.
2) in the opposite position of the travel direction to lock the propeller.
Note: do not put the shifting lever of the gearbox in forward position, otherwise the transmission could be damaged!"

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
And then you get on the boat that had an engine or tranny change and pushing forward on shifter puts you in reverse and pulling back puts you in forward.
Then I've read instructions somewhere that said up is forward and down is reverse.
No wonder there is confusion! Time for a :beer:

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
.... I have gotten used to the separate controls on my Catalina, and prefer them now. Sorry about the confusion.
My C-30 had separate controls for throttle and transmission. The 387 has a single lever than does both. Mine works perfectly and I now much prefer it over the 2 lever style.

I'd guess that when Catalina went to Yanmars, they used the single lever control. But I have absolutely nothing to back that up except the posts here seem to have the Universal powered boats with dual, and the Yanmar powered boats with single.

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
I varies with the transmission itself. Even within the specific engine and transmission manufacturers.
You will want to find the recommendation for your specific transmission - has nothing to do with the boat brand.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I think reverse is chosen for when you try to sail into the dock. Its one less thing you have to move when you are in a panic because you came in to hot. :biggrin:

• Ha