Throttle position while sailing?

Apr 17, 2012
2008 Beneteau 49 0 Mystic, CT
My previous Hunter did not recommend placing the throttle lever in any position except neutral when sailing. I did try once on the H36 and it was very difficult to get the lever out of reverse and so I never tried again. I now have a fixed 3 blade prop and Yanmar 4JH4-TE on the B49. Curious if anyone knows of any information or recommendations from the manufacturer on the issue. Thanks

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It isn’t the throttle position, it is the transmission.

I tried reverse once on my Yanmar with a kanzaki KMP2 tranny…I couldn’t get it out of reverse at the end of the sail. I know only sail in neutral.

Greg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
It isn’t the throttle position, it is the transmission.

I tried reverse once on my Yanmar with a kanzaki KMP2 tranny…I couldn’t get it out of reverse at the end of the sail. I know only sail in neutral.

Greg
When I bought my boat, the dealer put the transmission in reverse on my Yanmar while demo sailing. I followed suit, but really had no problem returning to neutral. Then I found out that Yanmars were supposed to be in neutral. I still really don’t agree with the logic, but I did it.
I hated the continual noise of the shaft rotation with the fixed blade prop, so ended up putting on a folding prop. Certainly not the most economical solution, but gained a half knot in hull speed…

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.........Curious if anyone knows of any information or recommendations from the manufacturer on the issue......

Just to add, refer to Yanmar Advisory Number, February 8, 2008: MSA08-003: http://www.shaftlok.com/YANMAR_MSA08-003_Neutral+Sailing.pdf

"We continue to get questions regarding the correct gear position while sailing with the engine OFF. This advisory is issued as a reminder; Yanmar requires that if sailing with the engine OFF (not running) the transmission shifter must be in the neutral position or internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result. This damage will not be covered by Yanmar’s Limited Warranty. Please instruct customers and dealers who deliver the sailboat to the customer, of the correct (Neutral) position for the marine gear while sailing. If the customer desires that the propeller shaft not spin while sailing, either a folding propeller, shaft break, or other suitable device may be used."

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
When I bought my boat, the dealer put the transmission in reverse on my Yanmar while demo sailing. I followed suit, but really had no problem returning to neutral. Then I found out that Yanmars were supposed to be in neutral. I still really don’t agree with the logic, but I did it.
I hated the continual noise of the shaft rotation with the fixed blade prop, so ended up putting on a folding prop. Certainly not the most economical solution, but gained a half knot in hull speed…
That's pretty much my story, too, Doug.

Jan 4, 2020
Beneteau First 35s5 Mentor-on-the-Lake
I have a 1993 Beneteau First 35s5 with original (?) Volvo penta and folding prop. Manual recommends to put in reverse while sailing. This works for me as when I don't have in reverse (even in neutral), the prop shaft can spin.

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
As noted earlier - you will want to follow the recommendation based on which transmission you have. On my Yanmar 4JH4AE I can not remember the transmission, but the recommendation was to keep it in neutral. Other transmissions it is quite common that is preferred to have it locked in reverse while sailing. So find the manufacturer plate and serial number on your transmission then appropriate google searches should get you the info you need.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
As noted earlier - you will want to follow the recommendation based on which transmission you have. On my Yanmar 4JH4AE I can not remember the transmission, but the recommendation was to keep it in neutral. Other transmissions it is quite common that is preferred to have it locked in reverse while sailing. So find the manufacturer plate and serial number on your transmission then appropriate google searches should get you the info you need.
Wouldn't that be Kanzaki transmission

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Wouldn't that be Kanzaki transmission

Yes - I can't remember the exact model I have. There was a service bulletin about not keeping it in reverse. Over time the the oil on the pressure plates leaks out and they can get sorta locked up. Only the particular model I have I guess. Took me a bit when I first had the boat to notice the problem, and heaving to and starting the engine in reverse was the workaround - I guess others kept trying to force things and broke their linkages and/or other things.

So anyway - the exact model of the transmission is probably what matters, not just the manufacturer.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
We have a 2007 41DS which has a Kanzaki KM35A-2 2.33:1 Ratio
I believe that in some cases Kanzaki just rebranded a Hurth transmission. Perhaps someone can confirm this. In any event, I don't think it's safe to assume that simply because one has a Kanzaki box attached the engine that it necessarily follows the same protocol on this question.

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
Very interesting conversation! I sail a B37 with a Bruntons 3blade folding prop. I have always sailed with the transmission in reverse until yesterday. In the past when going from power to sail the shaft would continue to spin until I put it in reverse. Yesterday I changed my habit, I put it in reverse for just a minute to stop the spin and then put it in neutral. We sailed for 4 hours and no shaft spin ! Thanks for the good information.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
With the Yanmar, always keep it in neutral. I had a bad experience once when it put it in reverse while sailing and could not get it out when I needed it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
With the Yanmar, always keep it in
Transmission position is based on the transmission, NOT the engine.
For about the zillionith time. :shakes head:
Some Yanmars had Hurths. Which say neutral or reverse, but never forward.

:shakes head: Why? Because it fosters disinformation.

Nov 22, 2011
Transmission position is based on the transmission, NOT the engine.
For about the zillionith time. :shakes head:
Some Yanmars had Hurths. Which say neutral or reverse, but never forward.

:shakes head: Why? Because it fosters disinformation.
100% right, Stu. And what makes it even more confusing is that those Hurth gearboxes mated to Yanmars are rebranded as Kanzaki. So you can't even say, "If you have a Kanzaki, do this." Your "Kanzaki" might not even be a Kanzaki!

Really, it's important to read what the manual specifically says to do for that specific model of transmission. (And yes, the engine has nothing to do with it.) Ditto for what fluid to put in it.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Interesting......never knew about the Hurth's. Thanks for correcting me.

My experience with putting it in reverse gave me serious problems on more than one occasion. I have never done it again and have never had problems. And that was with three different sailboats with Yanmar Kanzaki set-ups.

Isn't Hurth a US company? I can't see that Yanmar would call a Hurth tranny a Konzaki. Are you 100% certain??

Nov 22, 2011
Isn't Hurth a US company? I can't see that Yanmar would call a Hurth tranny a Konzaki. Are you 100% certain??
Yes, 100% certain.

Here's a quote from the Yanmar GM/HM Workshop manual p. 216:

"This chapter covers the Kanzaki Hurth KBWlOD and
KBWlOE marine transmissions that are attached to 0
Yanmar 3GM, 3HM and 3HM35 engines. Refer to Table
1 for a cross-reference of engine and transmission models.
The identification plate (Figure 1) located on the transmission
case specifies the transmission model."