Throttle lever tension

bob45

Nov 14, 2023
islander 34-2 lake michigan
Hi all! I have an edson pedestal with separate throttle and shift levers. The throttle lever was slipping/not holding at all. I put a cable brake on it, and have tightened once or twice a season (3 seasons) as eventually it starts to slip again. I feel like I'm gonna crush the cable eventually. Is the brake just a band aid? Is there something in the pedestal i should be looking at? If so, is that something i can adjust myself? TIA!

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Watching. I have the same issue. It doesn’t slip all the way back, but when I had the clamp tight enough for zero slippage, the throttle was so stiff that I couldn’t operate it. Lubed the lever bushing at the pedestal and tried unsuccessfully to get some lube into the cable. Loosening the clamp seemed to be my only option. I think my next step may be to replace the cable. Curious to see how others have solved this.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
There is a hex head bolt on the throttle lever rod inside the pedestal under the compass that tensions the cable. Doesn't take much and may take a couple tries to get perfect. Note the hex head on the right in the picture on the attached page.
Standard Clutch and Throttle Control - 8"
+1.

Remove the compass to gain access into the binnacle, and find the hex head bolt.

I did mine while under sail (calm conditions)…. Look around 24:00 on the video.

Very easy fix.

Greg