Throttle lever tension

bob45

Nov 14, 2023
islander 34-2 lake michigan
Hi all! I have an edson pedestal with separate throttle and shift levers. The throttle lever was slipping/not holding at all. I put a cable brake on it, and have tightened once or twice a season (3 seasons) as eventually it starts to slip again. I feel like I'm gonna crush the cable eventually. Is the brake just a band aid? Is there something in the pedestal i should be looking at? If so, is that something i can adjust myself? TIA!

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Watching. I have the same issue. It doesn’t slip all the way back, but when I had the clamp tight enough for zero slippage, the throttle was so stiff that I couldn’t operate it. Lubed the lever bushing at the pedestal and tried unsuccessfully to get some lube into the cable. Loosening the clamp seemed to be my only option. I think my next step may be to replace the cable. Curious to see how others have solved this.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
There is a hex head bolt on the throttle lever rod inside the pedestal under the compass that tensions the cable. Doesn't take much and may take a couple tries to get perfect. Note the hex head on the right in the picture on the attached page.
Standard Clutch and Throttle Control - 8"
+1.

Remove the compass to gain access into the binnacle, and find the hex head bolt.

I did mine while under sail (calm conditions)…. Look around 24:00 on the video.

Very easy fix.

Greg

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Where along the cable did you put the cable brake?
On my 340, the cable is held securely all along its entire length from the engine back towards the throttle. Except for about a 1 foot wide loop just under the throttle inside the pedestal. The loop in the cable allows it to have a smooth arc to enter the bottom of the pedestal and into the boat.
That’s where the cable brake should be located.
The brake will stop the loop from bending every time you move the throttle handle. At least on my boat, its that loop the caused my handle to drift back and never allowed the handle to stay in place.
Very annoying and extremely tiring while motoring for any length of time.
It may not be a complete circle type loop you should look for, but more of a wide arch of cable that is unsecured. Most likely in the same area I described.
Once the brake is in this area you’ll only need a minimal amount of pressure on it to get the results you want. And not have to worry about crushing the cable.
When you do find this type of loop, move the throttle handle back and forth and watch the movement the cable has each time. Attach the brake and look again to see the difference.
I hope this helps you.