Throttle controls for First 28

Feb 2, 2022
Beneteau First28 356 Cedar Mills Marina
1982 First 28. Need to replace or repair throttle control/shifter in cockpit. Anyone got an idea where to look for parts for 40 year old French made boat?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
My first move might be to identify the unit. Those types of mechanicals are usually vendor/3rd party products. Then start your search. If you can't determine the make, try a general google search, for instance: marine engine throttle controls. I've also noticed large selections of throttle units in the big online chandleries like Defender and west Marine. Here's a basic single lever, dual action throttle/shift unit for just $215.00... might be cheaper to just replace than go crazy trying to find parts. Good luck.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It is probably not “specific” to Beneteau…what make of engine do you have? What make / model shifter is it?

Greg

Feb 2, 2022
The throttle doesn't have a visible brand label. I'm sure it's original to the boat. The mechanism to disengage shifter is broken but functional (barely). It is a piece that slides on the pivot shaft at the base of the lever. Engine is a Yanmar 2GM. I'll get pictures next time at the boat.

Feb 2, 2022
Found a picture. You can see a piece of white plastic behind the lever that slides towards the boat to disengage. Was able to move it with a screwdriver.
20211218_132738 throttle.jpg

Feb 2, 2022
Update: Joe, you were spot on. The unit in your picture is a seastar, and reviews are great, saying it works with Yanmar. Responses like these are why I joined the forum. Thanks guys!