Throttle cable issue

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
When push the throttle up past about 1500 RPM the throttle will start moving back towards idle on its own. Engine runs fine...throttle won't stay at position.

I can run the motor at higher RPMs but I have to hold the throttle up. Throttle will come back to about 1500 RPM.

Is there any sort of "tension adjustment" or something that I can tweak?

Thanks,
Jim

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
There should be a saddle clamp somewhere along the cable that you can tighten. If not you can get one at a hardware store.
Unless your pedistal has a tension adjustment.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Also if you do find a saddle clamp or if you add one, position it as near to the throttle controls as possible. It will work much better as there is less length for bending

CraigS

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 310 Fort Walton Beach, FL
There is a clamp just aft of the throttle lever on the starboard side of the engine. Allows adjustment of idle RPM and tension as the whole cable can be moved. Further adjustments via the set screw on the engine throttle arm.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I had the same problem. The tension adjustment is made at the pedestal. Remove the compass binnacle and you will find a screw at the throttle pivot. Tighten this screw a bit, until you feel some resistance in the cable, and then run the boat again. The throttle should stay at whatever position you desire.