Throttle and Transmission Replacement Cables

Feb 21, 2018
- -
Does anybody have a specific length for these cables?

I am looking to replace the cables on my 1987 Hunter Legend 37 and was just told by the guys at Edson that my rough measurements had to be way off and they don't even sell lengths this long. To be fair, I was very rough in my measurements because I just put the boat on the hard and it is very difficult to move things around and I can only be there for 30 minutes at a time (yard rules). So, my measurements are rough but look like this:

Throttle (Red) = 32" (inside engine compartment) + 24" (engine compartment to aft berth) + 96" (aft berth to aft locker) + 48" (cabin sole vertical to steering quadrant area) + 48" (steering quadrant area forward to binnacle base) + 28" (length inside binnacle according to Edson) = 276" = 23'

Transmission (Black) = 60" (curves forward then aft inside engine compartment) + 24" (engine compartment to aft berth) + 96" (aft berth to aft locker) + 48" (cabin sole vertical to steering quadrant area) + 24" (across steering quadrant area) + 48" (steering quadrant area forward to binnacle base) + 28" (length inside binnacle according to Edson) = 328" = 27' 4"

The boat is in Mexico and tomorrow we are heading back to the US for a couple of months. I was hoping to have these parts ordered so we can come back with them. If I can't confirm dimensions, I might have to try to source them locally when I get back.

Any help would be appreciated! I've included photos of the current state of the transmission cable just for fun.

Attachments

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I don't have lengths for you and you may already know this but have you checked for any numbers on the cables - towards the ends. I know those cables look pretty beat so any ID might have disappeared but the length is usually printed or embossed on the cable. I had a hard time seeing mine but they were there after a little cleaning and close inspection. I needed a mirror to see one then took a picture of it to enlarege and see better.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2018
- -
That's a good tip.

I may be able to get to the boat tomorrow to check the engine side for numbers. I won't be able to get into the binnacle side though, so that's my only chance...

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
You could try tying messenger lines to the ends of the cables and pulling them out. You'd then have the old cables out where you could measure them and a way to get the new ones back in.