Three cabin Beneteaus?

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
Hello from the MacGregor side! ; )

My wife and I are researching a year's sabbatical sail and in our digging there are a couple models of Beneteaus that have risen to the top thanks to the three cabin layouts. We were first put onto the 393s through another forum bbut the more we look at them, the more the forward berth doesn't look like the "master stateroom" we might have in mind. And just as well, it seems like every time I look I see another model with three cabins. Do any of you here know in the sub-45 foot range which can be found with a three cabin layout? Were any of these typically put into charter?

I also like the sugar scoop transom/platform but I know this is available on many models. We'll be travelling with two preteen kids so easy water access is high on the list.

Speaking of kids. The 3 cabins are for just this reason. I've seen a few with what looked to be not much more than double sized quarter berths but also some with what look to have some semblance of standing space foreword of the bunk but within the cabin. Its tough to tell it all from photos but for now I'll have to make do. And then there's this late 90's 411(Oceanis)...the forward berth looks to be less than a double but then some weird settee on the port side of the hull which could almost be another berth?

One other question I have is the galley layout and how it works. I've been on boats with the traditional galley layout to port or stbd of the companionway stairs, looking "into" the salon. I imagine when in the galley one would feel more connected to the goings on in the salon vs having your back turned to the settee / table. However it looks like the working surfaces in the side positioned galley is far superior? Any thoughts on "living" with the two different setups?

Thanks in advance for any and all wisdom. We've got a long way to go with our research (cats are on the list too at this point but man are we seeing our money go way further in a monohull....).

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
Many boats have 3 cabins and it's really up to you and your needs to decide what is proper and fit for you. My Beneteau 361 has three. The forward berth is perfect for me but being tall it's not perfect for both me and my wife. So she sleeps in the converted berth in the saloon (which is quite big actually).
One model that has particularly big and nice forward cabin and berth (and includes its own head) is the Beneteau 423. Very nice boat and sails very nice too. The two aft cabins are also quite big and fit for 2 persons each so more than adequate for your kids.
Regarding the layout, as you have already mentioned some will say to port/stb of stairs so you have quick access to the cockpit and some will prefer quick access to saloon. It depends what you prefer. For me, I wouldn't pay much attention to it. You learn to adapt with whatever you have.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Most, but not all, 3 cabin layouts were probably former charter boats.
Not always a bad thing, but some may not be very well maintained.
The galley location is primarily put as close to mid ship as possible so that boat motion is least intrusive.
I would think that a 393 three cabin would be somewhat cramped for a crew of 4.
There are other brands that may be worth looking at for cabin layout. Catalina for example.
I think you will find in your research that most of the later model boats will have sugar scoop transoms. They certainly facilitate boarding for swimmers and for accessing a dinghy.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Doug, on my B323 I had a crew of 4 for 16 days going around the Delmarva peninsula a few years ago. No problem, even when winds to 30 and rain forced into the salon for dinner.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Doug, on my B323 I had a crew of 4 for 16 days going around the Delmarva peninsula a few years ago. No problem, even when winds to 30 and rain forced into the salon for dinner.
Hey Ron, your crew must be physically smaller and more compatible than mine.
Four of us would have meant 3 well over 6 foot gorillas, and one feisty if necessary, admiral.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I've got a 3-cabin 373 that's never been chartered. Too new to me to assess how well it works for a crew of 4, but I'm optimistic that it'll work well for my wife and 2 kids and myself. There is standing room in all three cabins, though if you weren't happy with the space in the 393 fwd cabin, then that pretty much rules out the 373 as well. Tons of headroom (6'7") throughout helps make things feel a little more spacious than some other boats in that size range. Only 1 head in ours, whereas I THINK the 3-cabin 393s have two (at least optionally). Of course, keep in mind that if you are a hoarder, the amount of storage available in 3-cabin boats is drastically reduced from the 2-cabin versions of the same boats. Good luck.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I've been looking for the same thing. About to close on a 45f5, built for performace and comfort. Absolutely gorgeous down below. The early 90's oceanis 440 has the same hull, and more light. The late 80's moorings 432's also have plenty of space and light great layout.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
I know you said under 45 ft, but we love the layout of our 473. Big master, two indoor showers ( plus outdoor shower). Galley is on starboard side which gives a lot more living room. Plus, you will probably want the room with teens on board full time.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
To be honest the 45 number was plucked out of the air. I bet if I ask the "marina/dock fee" length pricing I'd have a better number to pluck out of the air. Not that I'd plan on being in a marina all too often. Depends on the need I guess. A dinghy dock works just as well for laundry as being tied right on.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The 3 cabin boats were targeted at the charter market and people who want/need more interior space. You give up a massive deck lazarette that is useful for sails and deck gear. The 2 cabin is known as the “owners version” and is optimized for sailing. The galley location at the foot of the companion way is designed to make it easy to wedge in and cook while underway, and keeps the galley staff out of the way while underway. We shopped exclusively for the forward head/Pullman berth on a number of boats. It is a double. The 411 pullman berth is longer than the 393. Roll out and stand up sure beats a vee-berth and the forward head is a spacious use of that part of the boat. We launch our A-sym from there. The aft head is a bit of a joke, especially for big humans, but I like that we can put guests and kids in there and it provides easy access from the upper deck.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'll probably echo some of the other owners sentiments here.

Under say 40 feet, I would NOT recommend a 3-cabin Beni unless you are normally sailing with a crew complement that REQUIRES it. Two good examples:

Couple with a teenage boy and girl
Race crew that need the space.

Our First 36.7 (35 LOA) was a three cabin model. Like others it has three smallish staterooms, none ideal and certainly not 'owners' cabins. The Head is pushed up and intrudes in common area. The galley is smaller.

Contrast this to the newer First 35 with two cabins. Everything is bigger and better laid out.

Moral: Always to strive to maximize common space, and keep bedroom count to the absolute minimum. Guests can always sleep in the salon in a pinch.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Good points...the three cabin Beneteau sacrifices a great extra long berth in the saloon to provision the mid-ship galley. I can put 4 crew in their own berth on an Owners Version B411. Same as a 3 cabin version. And typically we don't sail with couples or kids who want to sleep together.

Sep 27, 2006
Beneteau Oceanis 321 Cleveland, EYC
Macboy, the Beneteau Oceanis 41.1 with 3 cabins and 1 head would be an excellent choice for your family. The fwd cabin is roomy. The head has two doors, one to the stb stern cabin.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have chartered the Beneteau line through the moorings in the BVI. The 41.1(.2?) was three cabin. We had 6 for a week. The aft caBIN LACKED VENTILATION PORTS, and even though we chose to not use it all week, it was liveable. With 2 kids, you should really get a 2-head model. In case one breaks, you have the other.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have chartered a Beneteau 393 three cabin version several times. No problem with comfort for a crew of four; actually I have been aboard for a charter club get together with a crew of seven that was a bit crowded but manageable....better than a crew of three on my boat. The 393 had two air conditioners; kept the boat cold, in all cabins, in August on the Gulf Coast. Two heads were good, big salon and galley. Cockpit can accommodate a big crew comfortably. And yes, storage space is lacking. If you are sailing primarily as a couple with occasional couple as guests the two cabin layout would be preferred. If sailing as a larger family, the three cabin version would be better.

Last edited:

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Thanks for keeping the dream alive! Its been busy summer here but now that all is creeping in and the wife is back to the rat race she (and I) will be thinking about the glorious dream of a year off in the Sea of Cortez......or wherever.