Three Bridge Fiasco

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
This race is held each year during January. The course is 21 miles and the marks are The Golden Gate. The Bay Bridge and the San Rafael Bridge all in the San Francisco Bay. Normally we have over 300 boats start in any direction, this year they limited it to single handed sailors with a max of 125 boats because of Covid . The spots were sold out in 24 hours. We race tomorrow, looks like 58 degrees and 5 to 10k winds, with tide currents to deal with. I start at 9:51 and the race ends at 7pm, I hope I finish in these light winds. I have done at least 10 of these races, one of them only had 2 finish out of over 300! I have only placed once at 3rd in class of 36 . Normally I am in the double handed class with Spinnakers, this time I am going Non-Spin with 16 in class. You never know how you are doing because you can go around the marks in any direction port or starboard. I am sailing Elan a Bene 37, no matter how it goes I'll have a great day.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I will take my boat out tomorrow and look for you in amongst the other 124 other boats!!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Pretty light wind for the race. How was the race, any notable highlights, did the tide work for you and what was the course?

Last edited:

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
Well, I started at 9:51 and finished at 4:49. Went to the golden Gate 1st at about 2K then headed for the Red Rock the tide was with me in the bay and good wind, got to Pt. Blunt, in no time, hit 8k, then ran out of air and drifted a 2K for an hour, the tide took me past the San Rafael and had to fight the current but the wind came back a little and got around the Reds Rock, wind came on more, we were off again at 5K to TI and died again until we went under the Bay B, hit 6K to 8k on the way to the finish. No results yet, you never know in this race because you can go around the marks any way you want! Had a great time, lots won't finish.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
What kind of libation was being served? (Before/during/after?)