Three blade propeller for Hunter 33

Nov 16, 2008
Hunter 33 Herzlia , Israel
I have a Hunter 33 (Legend) with Yanmar 3YM30 engine and 1" shaft. I am looking for an appropriate propeller with 3 fixed blades. Would appreciate any recommendations.
Regards
Meir

Mar 11, 2009
Hunter 40 Saint John
If money is not an issue, I would suggest going with a MAXPROP 3 blade variable pitch propellor. Not only does it have near 0 drag when under sail, it also has 80% better reverse capabilites then your standard 3 blade fixed prop.
Check them out, though they are quite expensive

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
If money is not an issue, I would suggest going with a MAXPROP 3 blade variable pitch propellor.
Just a point of clarification- Max Prop is not a variable pitch propeller. It is a feathering propeller. In operation, the blades are deployed either 100% in the forward position or 100% in the reverse position. There is nothing inbetween.

Autoprop is a variable pitch propeller. It's free-swinging blades will assume whatever is the most efficient position, as dictated by engine RPMs.

Jeff

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
I can adjust the pitch of my feathering prop. It adjusts for both forward and reverse. But once you have it set to the optimum there is no further need to change it. Mine is a two blade prop and over 15 years old. I just keep it lubed and change the zinc. Great unit. Here is a pic just after my last haul out. You can just make out the adjustment screws on the hub. It looks much shiner after I've polished it up.

Attachments

lbd

Aug 26, 2010
Hunter 33 Melbourne Australia
Replaced fixed prop with Kiwi prop on my 2004 33. Appreciable increase in sailing speed. No vibration when sailing at higher speeds as occurred with fixed prop. Motoring difference both forward and reverse imperceptible. Worthy of consideration I suggest.