Three blade prop

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brad Bock

I just purchased an 8.3 columbia, which has a 2GM Yanmar. It is probably a re-fit. the survey said to get a three blade prop. Can anyone provide a link or advise? Brad

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia 8.7 Super wide body Deltaville(Richmond)VA
go to the group in the link below, and ask the question. there are several wide body owners there, who have surely pondered the same question. I have an 8.7 and find that the 2 bladed prop with a yanmar 2qm15 gives me hull speed. the 3 blade prop might lower needed rpms, but i doubt it. Larry Wilson

C

Capt Ron;-)

Prop UP Rich

Brad, If Larry is getting hull speed, well ya cant do better. A three-blade will give more control, track better, will stop you better and reverse-perform better. I have owned a few and would never go back to a two-blade. The fancy ones have mucho moving parts, gears and pins, lotta stuff to go wrong. Call Rich Levy 410-2211-1108 labradog@dmv.com a friend he will steer you to a good prop-shop or may know where to find a good used one there in Maryland.

B

Bob

3 vs. 2 blade prop

A three blade will be a little smoother than the 2 blade, but actually the 2 blade is more efficient (hydrodynamically). I noticed more prop-walk in reverse with the 3 blade. Also, there will be more drag with the 3 blade than the two. Go to www.yanmarhelp.com and find out the best operating RPM for your engine. If you can get up to hull speed at the recommended cruising RPM, then you have the optimal solution already. Without starting prop wars, I recently upgraded to a 3 blade folding prop and will never go back. I picked up .75 knots or more sailing and reduced my RPM by about 300 while motoring at the same speed. Note: With almost all feathering or folding props, you need to lock the shaft for them to fold/feather properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.