Thoughts on the O'Day 272 LE

Mar 13, 2024
O'Day 272 Payette Lake
I'm heading out to look at a1987 O'Day 272 LE . It caught my eye because it's trailerable, and presents well in the pictures. Any thoughts? I will be sailing it in lakes throughout Idaho and then during the summer to the San Juans in Washington or the Channel Islands in SoCal. Always nervous about boat buying as I don't want to get stuck with someone elses problem. Owner is moving to a new country and can't take it with them. I appreciate any thoughts.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
By definition buying an older sailboat is buying someone else's problem.
Do your best diligence to make sure the big issues aren't a problem - like soft decks, a bad bottom, collapsed mast step, corroded keel or non operating keel mechanism, leaking keel joint, or poor standing rigging. Don't expect good sails - but that would be nice.
If the boat is clean, and complete, with a good trailer with title, and you can deal with the blemishes, buy it.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
that was our son’s first boat. Took him a year to rebuild which was a great teaching tool, not a sailing one. The deck step was collapsed, deteriorated rudder, blistered hull, etc… but it looked good in the pictures the owner sent him.
Find someone who knows boats before you buy anything.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I'm somewhat surprised as no one has mentioned the differance in the definition in just what constitutes a trailerable boat . A boat being 27' in length is going to take a serious truck to tow it with. The keel is going to mean it will need a crane or a hoist to get it from the trailer to the water .
As far as the boat it self , prior owners maintenance is going to be the most important part of the boat . There is nothing in that particular make and model that is unique ,

Dec 5, 2015
Oday 272LE Louisville, KY
I have a 1988 272LE. It is a little bit big for frequent trailering. The beam is 9ft wide which puts it over the limit for trailering in some states without a special permit. You may want to change out the mast step arrangement to a Dwyer hinged mast step if you frequently raise and lower the mast. The original mast step in cast aluminum if fragile. I tow mine 7 miles to launch in the spring and 7 miles back to winter storage in the late fall with a Ford F150. The marine service launches mine from the trailer with a trailer extender and a tractor..

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I would recommend getting a survey if you're serious about this boat. This should tell you the majority of what is wrong with it. Expect to spend around $700 for one. An alternative might be to pay a yard or marina to have one of their technicians inspect it. Do note that most technicians are more familiar with motorboats than sailboats. I'd imagine a two hour inspection would run $250-300 depending on the hourly rate.