Thoughts on rail mounted VHF antenna

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Where do you sail? Do you need longer distance? As for wires in the mast, I have the original lights wires in conduit and have my radar, vhf and wind sensor coax all running down the middle independently of one another. It was a concern but run it with a bronze welding rod to give the weight so it doesn’t loop around stuff and run all of your lines to their run lengths a couple times to make sure there isn’t any snags. I have both the main and genoa halyards internal. Since it’s a 22ft, I’d lower the mast and re run everything in conduit.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Yes ... as long as you don't plan on ever having an actual emergency.
Why ? The handheld functions with increased range and also works as normal.
Not a bad solution if you don't have cash for both new radio and a handheld.

You talking the fact the handheld won't have the same wattage ?
Or that there is then a single radio and no backup ?
In that case I agree on both points.

For me the cost of a masthead antenna with top quality coax cable, fixed mount DSC radio, and handheld DSC radio is just what it costs to go sailing. Same with a bunch of other things. A used fixed mount DSC is cheap.

Then again... If they don't hear your mayday, it saves the taxpayer on rescue cost. Which cruiser once said that you should be a man and go down with your boat if you can't save yourself without outside help ? :biggrin:

The previous owners of my C22, evidently would rather get a nice shiny am/FM/cd player, than replace the ancient fixed mount VHF. Go figure. At least they could have nice music in an emergency. :laugh: I think I replaced it the first week I owned the boat, and sat in the driveway in the city, listening to the marine weather forecast.

I try to simplify things as much as possible. Less thruhulls, less fancy stuff.. less stuff to fail and possibly even cause safety problems.

That said backup GPS, VHF radios, and transponders aren't on my list of luxuries.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Why ? The handheld functions with increased range and also works as normal.
Not a bad solution if you don't have cash for both new radio and a handheld.

You talking the fact the handheld won't have the same wattage ?
Yeah that, and my only radio dangling on a string, so to speak. I'd get a side job with Uber or Grubhub for a couple days, and buy an actual friggin' radio. Electrical system can't handle the extra 2 amps?? Work another couple days and buy a solar panel. Done. Skimping/jury rigging on basic safety equipment makes no sense to me.

That said, everyone has their own unique set of circumstances ("location, location, location") and their own level of risk aversion. Not everyone needs a VHF at all, or even an electrical system for that matter. I fully admit my perspective is skewed. :)

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Well the advantage of spending the money on a stereo system instead of a proper VHF base radio is that you can play all of the Titanic sinking symphony music at excellent quality while sinking.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Not everyone needs a VHF at all, or even an electrical system for that matter. I fully admit my perspective is skewed
I believe Larry and Lin Pardey had neither at one point.

Having DSC on our lake isn't a huge benefit when it comes to coast guard since they dont have DSC capable tower repeaters.
It can be handy for calling other boats easily, though everyone just monitors 16. With tiny amount of marine traffic on the water, and the distances, having good range is the important thing.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
On a non-communication-issue note, I once got a nasty handfull of fiberglass splinters when inadvertently grabbing a rain mounted antenna.. Not an issue when new, but as UV attacks the surface degrades. Not likely to happen with a masthead antenna :p;)

• Helpful
Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
Im in the San Francisco Bay. Ive had my boat in the slip for about 11 months now and was feeling lazy to haul it out and drop the mast. Ive been using a handheld as my primary radio, tho I have excellent cell service everywhere I sail as well. I would like to try some different bodies of water in the future, getting the trailer serviced this weekend so I can start to do that. Maybe ill opt to do the vhf before my next trip.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Everything they. Said about masthead is correct. I still went with a rail mounted vhf when the masthead wire failed. I just didn‘t want to deal with re running 26 feet of coax fixing the thru deck etc. mine is port side and runs down the vent to Inside the boat. To be honest I use the handheld more anyhow. So the American standard is now really back up.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Everything they. Said about masthead is correct. I still went with a rail mounted vhf when the masthead wire failed. I just didn‘t want to deal with re running 26 feet of coax fixing the thru deck etc. mine is port side and runs down the vent to Inside the boat. To be honest I use the handheld more anyhow. So the American standard is now really back up.
As long as You don’t have a serious emergency within 5 miles of another boat or radio tower you should be OK. May as well just use the hand held because the limiting factor is going to be the height of the antenna and your antenna height with the hand held (while standing in the cockpit) will be higher than the rail mounted antenna.
BTW, for those who think they are capable of good range because you can hear the marine weather forecast Are mistaken.. Receiving vs transmission are two different things. A radio can receive signals at a far greater distance than it can transmit. The transmitter range is determined / limited by two main factors; transmitter watts & antenna height.You are not going to transmit very far, even with higher wattage, if your antenna height is insufficient.